Simple multi NIC setup

greenhobby

Dabbler
Hi All,

I recently downsized my home server to save on power to a Gigabyte Z170 system (see signature). Using FreeNAS 11.3-U2. I have 2 network cards (10Gb Tehuti NIC, and 1Gb Intel motherboard NIC). I would like to do the following:
- Use the 10Gb NIC to just my workstation in my office (sits right next to each other and want fast speeds). Has a fixed address of 10.10.10.10. workstation has fixed address of 10.10.10.11 directly connected.
- Use the 1Gb NIC for everything else ( connect to home router, allow other systems on the home network to access the FreeNAS system). Has fixed address of 10.0.0.250

This all seems to work fine. Get great speeds to the pool from workstation.

Now I want to install a Plex Server in a jail and have it use only the 1Gb network for home access and give it access to FreeNAS servers (for its testing). I're tried a number of times to do this and no success. It gets through 50% install and it says it can't find the DNS server. The 1Gb network has all that configured, but it appears as though it's trying to go through the 10Gb NIC. I'm not an expert on VLANs and bridges. Can someone please help me with this? I'm happy to change the IP addresses if I have to, but I may need to manually configure things and not sure where to start.

thanks in advance, -gh

greenhobby

Dabbler
anyone?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Make sure your 1G NIC is a member of bridge0, not your 10G NIC.

greenhobby

Dabbler
Thanks Samuel. Can you point me to where I can learn how to create a bridge0 and add the 1Gb NIC to it?
Or is that all done in the jail creation?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The bridge is automatically created at jail creation. But if a "bridge0" exists, the jails will use that.
So you should:
* disable autostart for your jail
* reboot
* create a bridge0 interface in the UI, assign the desired physical IF as a member
* start your jail

greenhobby

Dabbler
Got it! Thanks again Samuel. Under the vnet_default_interface I removed auto and selected em0 (1Gb NIC) and its working! -gh

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Got it! Thanks again Samuel. Under the vnet_default_interface I removed auto and selected em0 (1Gb NIC) and its working! -gh
Or so ... ;)
I honestly did not know about the vnet_default_interface because I always did it the way I sketched above.

Good it works for you and good I learned something new today for me.

Patrick

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity