Simple FreeNAS home server on 11.2 U8 being converted from USB to SSD boot

Macaroni323

Explorer
I have a simple FreeNAS v11.2 U8 system (very old Xeon 3230 and maxed out RAM at 8GB) that has been running off 2 USB as boot mirrored. One USB has begun to fail and so I replaced that with a larger USB (selecting use the maximum size) and allowed the system to resolver. Resilvering took about 36 hrs (WTH!). Now the machine boots in about 10-11 minutes. Not sure what went on. The boot image is extremely large from the older images (3GB vs 750kB). Now I've bit the bullet and purchased 2 120GB SSDs and would like to reinstall 11.2U8 or even move to the final FreeNAS 11.3 U5 as a fresh install on the SSDs. It doesn't appear the the documentation shows how to do a fresh install with importation of my previous pool (or it's not obvious). Are there any important steps I need to do to keep from trashing my pools? I've backed up the data on the pools and backed up the v11.2 U8 current configuration. Do I need to check the box when doing the configuration backup to get all configuration data including passwords? Will the fresh install recognize my pools on the drives in the machine or should I pull the pool drives when doing the fresh install and import after a shutdown/drive install and reboot with the system running on the SSDs? I needs some numbered steps. FreeNAS runs pretty stable so I actually don't rember how to interact with it very much from either the web page or the command line. Truly a noob (even though I've been using FreeNAS since v9.3.

Redcoat

MVP
It doesn't appear the the documentation shows how to do a fresh install with importation of my previous pool (or it's not obvious)
Take a look here for all the steps: https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.3-U5/storage.html#importing-a-pool

Do I need to check the box when doing the configuration backup to get all configuration data including passwords?
Yes. do that.

Will the fresh install recognize my pools on the drives in the machine or should I pull the pool drives when doing the fresh install and import after a shutdown/drive install and reboot with the system running on the SSDs?
For compete data safety, I would pull the existing drives, install on the SSD's and boot up the system to check it out, shut down and reconnect the drives, power up, then import the pool(s) that you previously exported as described in the manual section linked above, then reload your saved configuration file.

Last edited:

Macaroni323

Explorer
Thanks Redcoat... Thanks for the instantaneous response. I'm not very good at finding stuff in the instructions. Just needed a little "ignition".

Just to reiterate your instructions, and do run-through of the plan.

First I'll backup the configuration (which I have done) System > 7.1. General and do a "SAVE CONFIG" and check "Export Password Secret Seed", and save the file for use later so I can recover the configuration. I don't have any encryption on in the pools to I shouldn't need the "Export Pool Encryption Keys", but what about the note on backing up the SSH keys? Shouldn't they be refreshed on the new OS install?

Looks like I have to 10.2.7. Export/Disconnect a Pool before doing the official shut down before starting the new install.
In the option boxes, I would not want to "Destroy data on this pool" or "Delete configuration of shares" so I would just select "Confirm export/disconnect" and then shut down the server, and disconnect the pool discs.

I'll then assemble the new SSDs in the machine and with only the new v11.3 U5 install media and the SSDs functioning in the machine I will install the fresh copy of FreeNAS, and select 7.3.1. Operating System Device Mirroring to mirror the boot SSDs I will then shut down and reconnect the pool discs.

Then I will do 10.2.8. Importing a Pool and bring the pool(s) into the new install.

Finally under System > 7.1. General I will do the "UPLOAD CONFIG" to recover my original configuration and shares. At this point I should be back to normal operation of the server.

Have I missed anything?

Redcoat

MVP
but what about the note on backing up the SSH keys? Shouldn't they be refreshed on the new OS install?
Your choice.

Looks like I have to 10.2.7. Export/Disconnect a Pool before doing the official shut down before starting the new install.
In the option boxes, I would not want to "Destroy data on this pool" or "Delete configuration of shares" so I would just select "Confirm export/disconnect" and then shut down the server, and disconnect the pool discs.
Yup.

I'll then assemble the new SSDs in the machine and with only the new v11.3 U5 install media and the SSDs functioning in the machine I will install the fresh copy of FreeNAS, and select 7.3.1. Operating System Device Mirroring to mirror the boot SSDs I will then shut down and reconnect the pool discs.
Yes - but note that many of us find SSD's so reliable, and a reload to a new SSD so easy, that we don't bother with mirroring SSD's today.

Then I will do 10.2.8. Importing a Pool and bring the pool(s) into the new install.

Finally under System > 7.1. General I will do the "UPLOAD CONFIG" to recover my original configuration and shares. At this point I should be back to normal operation of the server.
Yes.

Have I missed anything?
Don't think so.

Good luck!

Macaroni323

Explorer
Thanks Redcoat... Just wanted to report back on results.

The system apparently died on the new USB sticks (PNY 32GB USB2.0) since I shut it down while waiting for the SSDs to arrive. Luckily the original USB (the mate to the original dead boot mirror) was still bootable and I was able disconnect the pool from there and ready the system for the changes. Shut down and installed the SSD (keeping the second SSD intended for the boot mirror out for now) and pulled the data lines on the pool drives. Then started the install. Couldn't get v11.3 U5 on a USB to boot. I am suspect that it wasn't getting past the fact that my motherboard is not UEFI. Something about not finding find the kernal to boot. Tried v11.3 U5 on a DVD and that didn't seem to boot either. Tried v11.2 U8 on USB and no luck either. I have to be truthfiul though... I may have missed checking a combination between booting from USB or DVD, and not sure USB boot was working correctly on this system. Finally I backed up further to v11.1 U7 and that worked from CD to load the OS on the SSD. After that I was able to boot from the SSD and do an update via the OS to v11.3 U5. After a few reboots, and some checks to see if the system was stable on v11.3 U5, I shut down and reconnected the pool drives. After boot I was able to import the pools just fine, and uploaded my original saved configuration from v11.2 U8. All appeared to come back OK. There was a reboot that ocurred at an odd time during manipulation of the webpage but hasn't happened since. The reboot may have been a caching of a previous reboot command in the browser (not sure). System been running for two days now and just finished bit compare of 6.5TB of the server vs backup and we have 100% match. Only time will tell now. Saving money for a new motherboard to get beyond this 2005 vintage machine.

Thanks again for your help.