Significant performance issues / freezing under certain circumstances

slavaf2000

Cadet
Hello,

I have a FREENAS-MINI-3.0-E+ purchased in July 2020. Currently running Version: TrueNAS-12.0-U2.

I have a simple setup, small office where only I access the network shares using a Windows 10 machine. The shares are set up with SMB. Everything works very well, no issues at all, except under one particular circumstance. I have an application from a reputable vendor that I believe uses .NET framework. This software has a function to "roll forward a file" (last year's tax return, and it uses information in that file to create current year's tax return). When I click this function, it opens a file save dialog that allows me to select a file that I want to "roll forward". As soon as I click on a mapped network drive (drive Z: for example) this is where the issues begin. The interface of the application freezes, I can't access any files using any other application such as windows explorer, or even from any other computer. LED hard drive lights on the FreeNas box show "heavy usage", i.e. all drive LEDs are blinking heavily even though in reality I am not demanding anything else from the box. This state persists for say 2-4 minutes and then appears to work normally after that. This behavior happens about 90% of the time I try to roll forward a file using that application. In about 5% of the time it works normally, without any delay. And in the other 5% of the time, the FreeNas system effectively crashes and I am forced to reset it. Sometimes I can use option 10 on the screen connected to the box, which can take 5 minutes or longer to begin the reboot process, and other times even that doesn't work and I have to use the hardware reset button.

It is important to note that if I create a new tax return file using the application, and click "save", it opens the same save file dialog, but everything works fine every time. It appears to me that there may be an older version of the save file dialog that is used for the roll forward operation, and a newer version used for simple save file operation. I don't have any proof of that, but that's what it appears as based on the behavior. Is this a bug in the TrueNas system or maybe in the .NET framework? I can't tell for sure, but I am hoping you can provide your expertise and help me identify the issue and either a fix or a workaround.

I've attached a photo of the screen that was connected to the box at the time that I had to use the hardware reset button to regain control over the box. Hopefully it gives you some useful information.

In fact, when I was attaching the photo to this post, I experienced a delay of about 3-4 minutes. I was using Firefox 85.0.2 browser, I clicked on "Attach files" then clicked on the file name of the file I was attaching, and it froze for 3-4 minutes.

Please help!

Many thanks,

Attachments

• BF0E1612-726C-46DA-B006-C6090DE4B7B8.jpg
    BF0E1612-726C-46DA-B006-C6090DE4B7B8.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 151