Sidegrading to Scale on a New Mini+

cortes

Dabbler
I just ordered a TrueNAS Mini+ on which I will be installing my own drives. One on the reviews of the Mini line said you can easily 'sidegrade' to Scale through the web gui. Since I don't have the unit yet and I haven't seen the process or found an example in a Web search. It does sound easy. My question though, is it better to use this method or to install from an ISO image? I've done several ISO images installs before so the process isn't new to me. I also saw a TrueNAS help page on migrating. Given I'm starting fresh it didn't seem to apply.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well that is a new one on me, "sidegrade". In my world it is still "upgrade", but the younger crowd...

While you can upgrade from TrueNAS CORE to TrueNAS SCALE, it is probably best to just start with SCALE. It is getting more mature and there are some fundamental differences such as "jails" and "VMs". It would be much easier for you in the long run. Since the NAS will be new (no data and you need to create everything) you can test our SCALE and if you like it, stick with it. If there is a reason for you to go to CORE then you can do that.

I have found that it is better to upgrade using an ISO image as sometimes the Web GUI upgrade doesn't always upgrade as expected.

Always backup your TrueNAS configuration file so that recovery is fast and easy.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

cortes

Dabbler
Well that is a new one on me, "sidegrade". In my world it is still "upgrade", but the younger crowd...

While you can upgrade from TrueNAS CORE to TrueNAS SCALE, it is probably best to just start with SCALE. It is getting more mature and there are some fundamental differences such as "jails" and "VMs". It would be much easier for you in the long run. Since the NAS will be new (no data and you need to create everything) you can test our SCALE and if you like it, stick with it. If there is a reason for you to go to CORE then you can do that.

I have found that it is better to upgrade using an ISO image as sometimes the Web GUI upgrade doesn't always upgrade as expected.

Always backup your TrueNAS configuration file so that recovery is fast and easy.
Coming from the days of re-ipl to restart an OS, I agree with you on the odd new terms. I definitely want to go with Scale so that's why I wanted to install it from the start. I'll go the ISO route. Then I can repeat the process if I screw it up the first time.

joeschmuck

Old Man
My advice, test the platform out before committing a lot of data to it. You may decide to change the pool setup or something else.

cortes

Dabbler
My advice, test the platform out before committing a lot of data to it. You may decide to change the pool setup or something else.
Are there any guides on that? My initial use case is to backup up my Mac Pro via Time Machine and Proxmox VE running on another server. I've found guides on how to do those backups. From there, I'll migrate some data off my Mac Pro. This my first NAS. It's overkill for my purposes, but I always wanted to work with one.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Are there any guides on that?
There are guides everywhere and here is one in our resources:

Redcoat

MVP
I think the below is the first time I saw it...

1709067078531.png