SickRage / SickChill

Neferi

Cadet
hee all

i have been playing with Freenas for some month's now, and i love it !!

been messing around with all kind of plugins and used to have a Plex/Sickrage/Couchpotato/Transmission combo running...

but after the problems with sickrage i moved to sonarr but it's just not my thing ... never could get it automated .
i reached to point of switching from transmission for downloading to Blackhole for copying ...

really really want to go back to sickrage ... found the replacement Sickchill .. but no way of installing it ...

found this
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/please-help-me-with-sickrage.73491/

but it starts with installing sickrage and that is the point .. it's not in the plugin list ...

Please Please help me i'm losing hair over this :P

diskdiddler

Wizard
The work towards writing plugins seems to have taken a turn for the worst unfortunately.

I would strongly recommend you spend the time to create a Ubuntu VM under FreeNAS and then start learning how to set up docker inside that VM, mapping back to FreeNAS via SMB or NFS.

I have been working on this for about a month now and I've reached a point where I'm happy with the replacement.

I hoped so much and 'fought' (petitioned, championed, tried to help?) around these parts for iocage / FreeNAS to get good places with plugins but alas, it seems to have died. Freshports is updated a bit slowly as it is, let alone the ports of plugins here.

rknaub

Explorer
Plugins are what drew me to FreeNAS. Back in version 8 or 9 something I had all I needed. Unfortunately the support is just not there anymore. There is a couple very good guides here to help you install everything you need as jails, in the resources section of this forum. The biggest problem I had with them was changing things to suit my folder structure, but once that was figured out (trial and error), I got good at doing it and am very happy with the result. The other issue I had was with jail creation, I followed the guides, but found things worked better for me to go in after the fact and change the jail to dhcp, and just do address reservations in my router.

Really is a shame about plugins, I was hoping there would someday be a vast library of stuff to easily install, but alas, my Plex server is always updated a day or two after the new release now. If I hadn’t invested so much into FreeNAS, I’d probably try out Unraid. I’m no good with Linux, but I have learned everything I know (which isn’t much) from this forum. You will get a lot of the common response of RTFM, but some folk here overlook people’s shortcomings with searching/understanding the search results, and actually try to help.

The good thing about a jail is you can delete it and start over if you’re not happy with it. I have had to do it many many times.

But to get back to your topic, I managed to get Sonarr working to an acceptable level for me, just takes a lot more finesse and tweaking than sick rage did. I still think about switching back from time to time.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Plugins are what drew me to FreeNAS. Back in version 8 or 9 something I had all I needed. Unfortunately the support is just not there any more. There is a couple very good guides here to help you install everything you need as jails, in the resources section of this forum. The biggest problem I had with them was changing things to suit my folder structure, but once that was figured out (trial and error), I got good at doing it and am very happy with the result. The other issue I had was with jail creation, I followed the guides, but found things worked better for me to go in after the fact and change the jail to dhcp, and just do address reservations in my router.

Really is a shame about plugins, I was hoping there would someday be a vast library of stuff to easily install, but alas, my Plex server is always updated a day or two after the new release now. If I hadn’t invested so much into FreeNAS, I’d probably try out Unraid. I’m no good with Linux, but I have learned everything I know (which isn’t much) from this forum. You will get a lot of the common response of RTFM, but some folk here overlook people’s shortcomings with searching/understanding the search results, and actually try to help.

The good thing about a jail is you can delete it and start over if you’re not happy with it. I have had to do it many many times.

But to get back to your topic, I managed to get Sonarr working to an acceptable level for me, just takes a lot more finesse and tweaking than sick rage did. I still think about switching back from time to time. The same guide in the resources section includes sick rage I think.

I am in the exact same boat, I signed up around FreeNAS 9 and I was very impressed with the plugins. In hindsight it looks like 1 or 2 very dedicated members really worked their butts off back then to keep things running, they've since left and few people have the time to help and do it right.

I would've liked to see some kind of patreon / donation system or something to encourage people to build plugins, but it's not to be at this point. I see more and more people either moving away from FreeNAS or at least moving the plugins away to another system (spare linux machine, generally)

The sad thing is, as far as I know, iocage is superior to warden and improving, writing plugins should be a lot easier (heck, I cobbled together one)

I don't want to follow 4 page guides to get one plugin going or one jail up and running, when with docker, I can follow a 1 page guide AND it's updated more frequently, often a LOT more frequently.
P.S I detest Sonarr :/ I loathe the user interface and how it works as a downloader, very happy with sickchill in a container (docker) - mind you I had a perfectly good sickchill jail, but it was very old and renamed / imported from long ago, had pieces of sickrage inside it - but it was working fine.

Assuming you are running FreeNAS-11.2-U5, the following steps worked for me to install the SickChill plugin from the command line:

Code:
fetch https://raw.githubusercontent.com/freenas/iocage-ix-plugins/master/sickchill.json
iocage fetch -P -n sickchill.json vnet=on bpf=yes dhcp=on --keep_jail_on_failure

Notes:
  • if you're using the built-in shell from the FreeNAS UI, CTRL+V does not work to paste, instead use SHIFT+INSERT
  • Some other releases of FreeNAS (iocage) have issues with this plugin. This is likely the reason that this plugin was temporarily pulled from the repo.

Last edited:

Neferi

Cadet
Assuming you are running FreeNAS-11.2-U5, the following steps worked for me to install the SickChill plugin from the command line:

Code:
fetch https://raw.githubusercontent.com/freenas/iocage-ix-plugins/master/sickchill.json
iocage fetch -P -n sickchill.json vnet=on bpf=yes dhcp=on --keep_jail_on_failure

Notes:
  • if you're using the built-in shell from the FreeNAS UI, CTRL+V does not work to paste, instead use SHIFT+INSERT
  • Some other releases of FreeNAS (iocage) have issues with this plugin. This is likely the reason that this plugin was temporarily pulled from the repo.
Thx
Should be on 11.2-u5 .. i always try to keep my system updated!

Gonna give this one a try!

Update :
O MAN I LOVE YOU !!! It works!!!

Maybe a rude question .. but can you also please explain the code .. the fix is one part .. learning how changes the game and might help me with a future problem i encounter/helping someone else like you helped me now !!

Thanks a million