Should I test? B-stock drives w 8 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc60045

Dabbler
CDW sells “B-Stock” items that were opened, turned on, then returned, good as new

I bought 4 8TB SAS3 drives for a heckuva discount. They have 8 hours on them, says smartctl.

Is it worth the effort to run a full set of smartctl tests on them before I luks encrypt and mount?

Opinions and horror stories welcome!

Thanks,

TC

joeschmuck

Old Man
My advice is to run badblocks on the drives. Link here. Just my two cents.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Agree 100%. Run a full burn in just as you would with a new drive before you add them to your pool.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I fully support the previous two comments. It is possible they are just fine, but it is always best to test a drive first, if time and resources permit, before adding it to your storage system. I have had several (over the years) fail the test and get returned. That may be why these were returned. Best to know.

Doesn't matter how many hours a drive has in my house. Before I put it into use or send it off I drop it in a system and Badblock it then run smart tests. Honestly don't know how I survived without it but now that I know it's there I use the crap out of it.

Same goes for regular desktops and such. I would rather stress a drive now and know it's going to last rather than to just roll the dice and say well hopefully it works.

tc60045

Dabbler
What a mod says, I do....

And thanks all for the nudge. 5 days of waiting but as you point out, better safe....

Status
Not open for further replies.