Should I move to SCALE, and if so, why?

sterickson

Dabbler
I'm in a situation where I've migrated my data elsewhere, and can rebuild everything that runs TrueNAS Core (currently two Minis and a Mini XL, soon to also be a Mini XL+ once IX builds and delivers it). This is primarily a Plex server setup. Today. Who knows what it might be a couple years down the road.

Now seems like a good time to ask if I should stick with TrueNAS Core (I'm on the latest), or if I should switch to TrueNAS SCALE.

Thoughts?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I'd recommend waiting..
SCALE 22.02 U2 will have enclosre management for the Minis....
Nothing that you said indicates any significant upside for SCALE

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I don't think there's a compelling reason to move at all for a simple Plex server use case with no Separate Graphics card to consider in that hardware.

TrueNAS 13 CORE is coming, that will continue to do the job well.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you want to run Linux container based applications pick SCALE.
If you want to run FreeBSD jails pick CORE.
For standard VMs both are fine.
If you need PCIe passthrough for graphics or similar, probably SCALE will be the better choice, soon.

sterickson

Dabbler
If I stick with CORE for now, would it be possible, should I decide to switch, to upgrade directly from it, to SCALE, and have my Plex plugin automatically move over and be working/usable when the upgrade is complete?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
and have my Plex plugin automatically move over and be working/usable when the upgrade is complete?
That's the only bit that will require intervention.

LarsR

Guru
Sidegrading is possible, but bsd jails are not compatible with the apps system on scale. You have to setup a new app.

sterickson

Dabbler
Thanks, that's what I suspected, but had to ask (I don't presume to know everything, much as I wish). So I guess my last question would be, is there any way to preserve the configuration, history, etc., from my current Plex plugin, and transfer that into the new Plex VM, and have it appear to be a seamless transition?

The answer to this is useful even if I don't transition to SCALE, as I am going to delete and rebuild my pool, to switch from a set of mirrored VDEVs to RAIDZ2. I just haven't decided if that will be under CORE or SCALE yet. That saved config, history, etc., would be needed in either case.

Universalism

Cadet
Currently in the process myself of moving my plex container from a docker container inside a linux VM to SCALE's cluster, what I did was rsync the config folder (/path/to/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server) and move it into a dataset outside of the vm that I can mount my new plex container too, that should be all you need to keep all of the existing metadata and previous config setup.

Edit:
It worked as expected. I now have plex running directly inside of SCALE with all the existing metadata and media data as before, super easy to do. Not sure how it'll be going from a bsd jail though truthfully as I was never a fan of jails to begin with and avoided them completely but if you can find the library path then you should be alright.

Last edited:

AirborneTrooper

Contributor
It worked as expected. I now have plex running directly inside of SCALE with all the existing metadata and media data as before, super easy to do. Not sure how it'll be going from a bsd jail though truthfully as I was never a fan of jails to begin with and avoided them completely but if you can find the library path then you should be alright.
Can you explain like I'm 5? I just migrated to Scale and trying to figure out how to get all my metadata and watched/unwatched info moved over.
I have my dataset as such still /mnt/v1/apps/plex//Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server and /mnt/v1/iocage/jails/plex. My media is stored in /mnt/v1/media/videos with a tv, movies, and preroll directories. Is the Host Path for Plex Config Value supposed to be the Plex Media folder?

Last edited:

AirborneTrooper

Contributor
This took me way too long to figure out so if anyone else stumbles across this and needs dummy lessons:

Storage > check Enable Host Path for Plex Config Volume > Host Path for Plex Config Volume: /mnt/v1/apps/plex (make sure it contains Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server)

Configure Plex Extra Host Path Volumes > Plex Host Path Volume:
Mount Path in Pod: /media
Host Path: /mnt/v1/media/videos