Should i create a debian VM using iohyve or jails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borja

Contributor
I think can be done both ways, maybe im wrong. Im using 9.10. I think iohyve is better for performance but what about updating freenas to 11?VMs will work?

Thanks

iXô

Dabbler
If I am not mistaken, and if it is still the case, using linux jail is limited to 32 bits linux system. But this may still have better performance than using bhyve (not sure about that)

Borja

Contributor
If I am not mistaken, and if it is still the case, using linux jail is limited to 32 bits linux system. But this may still have better performance than using bhyve (not sure about that)

I think better performance is only when using freebsd VM because it acts as a container and not emulating HW . But if you want to use a jail with other OS using the virtualbox plugin, i think is the other way around. The problem is im planning to upgrade to freenas 11 soon, but need the VM now, so if jails gonna upgrade better i prefer this than performance.

iXô

Dabbler
Freenas 11 have jails, and bhyve / iohve VM like freenas 9.10

danb35

Hall of Famer
I think better performance is only when using freebsd VM because it acts as a container and not emulating HW
A VM is a VM, and no matter what OS runs in the VM there's some hardware emulation involved. Jails aren't VMs, though, and I would (all other things being equal) expect better performance from a jail than from a VM--not only do you not have the hardware emulation layer, you also don't have the resource limits of the VM. But the Linux jail template was deprecated years ago.

If you're going to create a VM, you can do so under 9.10 using iohyve/bhyve. Don't use a VirtualBox jail for anything you're going to need for any significant period of time, as it won't work if you upgrade to 9.10.2 or later.

D

dlavigne

Linux jails were removed some time ago as they were problematic. VMs is the way to go.

Borja

Contributor
A VM is a VM, and no matter what OS runs in the VM there's some hardware emulation involved. Jails aren't VMs, though, and I would (all other things being equal) expect better performance from a jail than from a VM--not only do you not have the hardware emulation layer, you also don't have the resource limits of the VM. But the Linux jail template was deprecated years ago.

If you're going to create a VM, you can do so under 9.10 using iohyve/bhyve. Don't use a VirtualBox jail for anything you're going to need for any significant period of time, as it won't work if you upgrade to 9.10.2 or later.

My version is 9.10.2

So you think if i create a Debian VM using iohyve and later i upgrade to FreeNAS 11 everthing should work fine?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If your that concerned about it update to 11 now and then create the VM.

danb35

Hall of Famer
So you think if i create a Debian VM using iohyve and later i upgrade to FreeNAS 11 everthing should work fine?
Probably, but I'd follow @Jailer's advice and just upgrade to 11 now, especially if you don't have other jails.

Borja

Contributor
If your that concerned about it update to 11 now and then create the VM.
Probably, but I'd follow @Jailer's advice and just upgrade to 11 now, especially if you don't have other jails.

Yes, i think its the best idea. But this is a production NAS and i'm worried about upgrading. Freenas 11 is too new. But i think about it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.