Sharing NFS within home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaddies

Contributor
I have managed to share my Media folder within my home network and mount a drive to other Linux machines. However, I must have permission issues as I am unable to modify the files or folders. The Media folder on FreeNAS is configured with Media:Media owner:group. I have read in the documentation that I should set groupall=nobody and userall=nobody and this will work. However, I am afraid that the linkages to my other systems will break in that case. I have setup my couchpotato, sab, sickbeard plugins according to J Ruehlig's instructions where the user was defined as Media. Can I add the Media user to the group on my other machines to allow access to the NFS shares. What other approach should I follow? Thanks and sorry for the NOOB question.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
For all my NFS shares, I set the Mapall User and Mapall Group to match the owner and group of the dataset being shared. I leave both Maproot settings as N/A. The idea is that NFS maps any incoming connection to match the ownership of the shared dataset.

theaddies

Contributor
Thanks for the reply. Does that mean that it should work irrespective of the user on the client machine. I am trying to simply share a folder on my freeNAS to be accessible from a raspberry PI. I read somewhere that the privileges were set by the client and not the server. The raspberry pi user is pi. I am pretty sure what you mention above is how the system is currently configured. I have succesfully mounted the folder on the raspberry pi, but I cannot write anything to it. When I try it says I do not have the necessary permissions. Do I need to put a username and password in my fstab command? Thanks so much for the help. I know my questions are neophytic.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Does that mean that it should work irrespective of the user on the client machine.
Yes.
Do I need to put a username and password in my fstab command?
I'm not using fstab, I mount NFS shares when I need them, or put them in the OS X login items when necessary, and no password is ever required.

The only other setting I think I changed was checking "All Directories".
plexNFS.png
I did notice that my media user is a member of wheel, but that shouldn't matter, as long as Mapall User and Mapall Group match the ownership of the dataset.
media1.png media2.png
permissions.png options.png

theaddies

Contributor
Perhaps I spoke too soon. So, when I try to copy a file into the mounted directory I get "the file operation was completed with errors". Error opening file and the file path listed is the one for the mounted drive. That is not the drive from which the file was copied but the one to which I am writing. Oddly, when I try the exact same operation again, it asks if I want to overwrite the file. I say yes, and it proceeds and then the file appears in the folder. What is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.