Share from different devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freesnofla

Patron
Hi Guys, hope you can help me as I'm bin in doubt. I have seen the below video from FreeNas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOueRnMNZtY.

I like to get access also from outside my home network, what is then the most secure setup. I only use Ubuntu on all devices, my routers are connected via VPN.

Should I make for each user a extra dataset? Or can I do a common dataset for music / photos and movies?

best regards
Freenassnofla

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You have confused the heck out of me bro.

Accessing your data outside your home network has nothing to do with datasets. Do you think it does?

Freesnofla

Patron
What the heck are you thinking about me, I asked for help and if you shocked that's fine with me. Should I cry, no I think so. I need to set the share, but I'm not sure what the most secure way to go. I only asked for help nothing else.
I prefer following

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

Albert Einstein

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't know what to think about you. I'm trying to help you but first I have to understand what your concern is.

When you say you want to setup the "most secure" are you referring to the data locally on the server or regarding network connections? I'm asking because you mention VPN and datasets in the same post and they really don't affect each other. Datasets actually don't affect security at all.

So again, I'm struggling to understand what you don't understand so I can explain what you are not understanding, but you're mixing networking and data storage and I don't see any link between the two.

Freesnofla

Patron
Well I try to explain what I like to do.

1. I have 4 devices Ubuntu from where I like to get access to the NAS
  2. I have 2 routers running which are running VPN, so there is a stable direct VPN connection.
  3. What I need is that I can do downloads directly to the FreeNas Box from all those devices.
  4. Should I create new users with passwords or what is the most secure way?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ah.. ok

Just setup permissions for your files appropriately. This may involve creating users and/or groups. Basically you'll control access via username/password.

Status
Not open for further replies.