Inconsistent share

Status
Not open for further replies.

tophee

Explorer
Hi,
I've had my server up and running for a while running FreeNAS8. I've just upgraded to 8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64 after I had an issue connecting to a share.

I have a dataset for my movies and this resides in /mnt/Server/Videos. the share points at the correct location and is assigned mapall User and mapall group to nobody.

I have been able to manually mount this share from my mythbox and my ubuntu pc and copy data between them very effectively. When it works.

For example, I could mount the location yesterday evening, now today I cannot and I cannot work out why. Te box is working - I can log into the box's ip address and I can see CIF shares but when I try to mount the nfs shares they don't appear to exist.

From command: sudo mount 192.168.0.2:/mnt/Server/Video /home/chris/NFS_video/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on 192.168.0.2:/mnt/Server/Video, missing codepage
or helper program, or other error (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program) In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so

However yesterday, the exact same code worked perfectly.

Can anyone guide me to fix this? I would like to get this consistently working as my wife wants to watch game of thrones!

Thanks in advance

tophee

Explorer
Initially, I was trying with the "t nfs" and it didn't seem to like it. However, it has been working more effectively since I posted. I will revisit mounting with the "-t nfs" again and report back.

tophee

Explorer
Hello,

Back again.
Now since last posting, I was feeling quite smug as mounting my nfs share seemed to be working flawlessly. It seems to be working from my mythbox (as already said) but I cannot seem to reconnect my nfs share from the command line at all on my ubuntu box. I am still getting the
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on 192.168.0.2:/mnt/Server/Video, missing codepage
or helper program, or other error (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program) In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so
message again.

dmesg | tail from my ubuntu box reports:

[ 31.289444] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: link up
[ 31.289454] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
[ 31.345267] Adding 2093052k swap on /dev/mapper/cryptswap1. Priority:-1 extents:1 across:2093052k
[ 111.672653] systemd-hostnamed[2574]: Warning: nss-myhostname is not installed. Changing the local hostname might make it unresolveable. Please install nss-myhostname!
[ 458.743095] FS-Cache: Loaded
[ 458.758972] RPC: Registered named UNIX socket transport module.
[ 458.758975] RPC: Registered udp transport module.
[ 458.758976] RPC: Registered tcp transport module.
[ 458.758977] RPC: Registered tcp NFSv4.1 backchannel transport module.
[ 458.774833] FS-Cache: Netfs 'nfs' registered for caching

I am able to manually mount this nfs share from my media centre. Though not automatically. Maybe I've got a permission wrong somewhere? Don't know. Fortunately I still can use CIFS for copying data to my freenas box.

Thanks for suggestions and ideas resolving this.

tophee

Explorer
Well solved this by retracing my steps... it seems in one of ubuntu's update I somehow lost my nfs common. I reinstalled nfs-common and I am now able to connect to the nfs share without issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.