Cannot see Data via Raspbmc with NFS share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher Joyson

Contributor
HI
I have set up a share for my XBMC data on NFS for my RasBMC and connected to the share but cannot see past my datasets.

FreeNAS 9.2.1.5
My Share is
Comment: NA_ Share
Authorised Networks: 192.168.X.0/24
Authorised IP Addresses or Hosts: Blank
All Directories: Checked
Read only: Unchecked
Quiet: Unchecked
Maproot User:N/A
Maproot All:N/A
MapALL User:nobody
MapALL Group:nobody
Path: /mnt/Nas_Volume

Permissions of Nas_Volume:

Owner (User): nobody
Owner (Group): nobody
Mode: All selected
Type of ACL: Unix
Set Permissions Recursively: has been done.

On Openelec I opened a SSH screen via putty and put in the following:
mkdir nfs01

mount -t nfs 192.168.X.13:/mnt/Nas_Volume /storage/nfs01

I can see the share and can see into my my Nas Share but only as far as my Datasets, I cannot see anything below these
My Datasets are all in unix ACL also.

Finally, someone else with the same problem!

I've been experiencing this for the last few weeks - since i upgraded my raspbmc to Gotham and Freenas to 9.2.1.6.

I'm experiencing the same issues from my OSX Mavericks, but I've read a lot about the change-over from afp to cifs, and nfs not working properly so I thought it must be a mac problem.

Then I tried to connect my raspberry pi to my NAS via nfs - same problem. Can mount the share ok (although it takes an age - ~30 secs), can see the datasets, but they all contain 0 bytes.

AFP works fine (except on Mavericks it starts to freak out a little - showing incorrect folder contents(?!?) and broken transfers), works fine on xbmc and I can quickly see all the shares.

I thought it may be a problem with my router not porting the ip correctly but I'm a noob when it comes to that sort of networking protocol stuff so left it alone.

I installed NFS Manager app on the mac and connected to Freenas - it said it was connected, but took a very long time to do so.

Thanks in advance.

Christopher Joyson

Contributor
i gave up and am using CIFS instead but it all seems slow.

I cant try on my lapyop as I dont have enterprise services.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Has NFS shares ever worked with Gotham and any FreeNAS version? I know when I was using Gotham on my RPI and using DLNA on FreeNAS, I had no issues with streaming the media. All media was available without issue. I have since purchased a Roku3 which replaced the RPI which is sitting in the living room collecting dust for now.

Would the bulletin boards not be aflame with comments if NFS were not working on Gotham?

If Apple is ditching (has ditched?) AFP, and NFS is not working, does that mean CIFS is our only option?

What the hell's going on?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, I've never heard of Gotham (except in the Batman world) so I have to think that relatively few people care. ;)

Apple seems to be moving to CIFS. Because NFS doesn't work well with anything except *nix, AFP is very much Apple-only, and CIFS works relatively decently or very well in virtually all OSes it seems to me that the easy/obvious answer is to go with CIFS if possible.

It's something that once set you won't have to worry about changing in 6 months because you bought a new laptop/desktop/server and you can't go with AFP or NFS. CIFS seems to be universally supported in all of the major OSes. The only exception are things like ESXi, Xenserver, Hyper-V, etc where your options are very limited.

Also if you plan to go with 10Gb LAN there may be performance problems with CIFS as saturating a 10Gb link is nearly impossible(believe me, I've tried). But I don't think most people here are going to get upset if they can "only" get 300MB/sec on CIFS with 10Gb.

Christopher Joyson

Contributor
Gotham is the Latest XBMC Version, and it was teh whole reason started looking into FreeNAS, with the Openelec Version of the Raspberry Pi XBMC NFS is recommended due to the faster speeeds of NFS. Anyway Should nt NFS be the major shareholder of Networking on a Unix System?
I also find the transfers from my laptop to Freenas very slow, Yes Iappreaciate over wireless my speeds wont be great. But 24 hours to trasfer 1tb is a bit of a ballache!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Wireless speeds always suck. In fact, if you were to create a thread and announce you have slow performance over wifi nobody here will respond to your thread.

As for the Raspberry Pi, I've used my wifi using the RasPlex or whatever it's called. It worked fine for me.

I'd presume that if you know what you are doing you should be able to get NFS working for you intended use-case. I've used NFS on several OSes without problems specific to FreeNAS.

Christopher Joyson

Contributor
Even though I'm a complete Noob with NFS and Unix style operating systems, following the instructions should get the desired result - should it not?

I had all my Permissions correct in the Volume etc, and I could see my Volume and the datasets but could not see beyond from my Raspberry. PErmissions fro the Owner, Group and other were all set to Read, Write & Execute. so as far as setting up from the GUI all should have been ok.

What Im trying to find out is that is the issue with Rasperry or is there some other hidden, in the dungeons of, Freenas settings that are being missed.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
CIFS has never been broken to me, and several mods will vouch that it works just fine. I know 2 months ago I helped 3 people with Macs and they had zero issues using CIFS and using Time Machine. I've also used CIFS on Windows and Linux without problems. Also, you're complaining that AFP is broken (Apple's problem) and CIFS is broken (Again, pointing to Apple's problem per the link *you* provided) and you think it's FreeNAS' problem? Surprise... its Apple's problem! And if it's not "OK" then you should be taking your cripe to the Apple forums, not this forum. Contrary to popular believe we do NOT have control of Apple's products and we don't even have particularly strong control of the services and their functionality (although we do have a lot of weight with correcting problems when proven to be found with the service).

So to be honest (and blunt) when someone tells me stuff is broken I have to ask if the software itself is broken or is it user-error. And I have to ask if it's broken on the server or the client. My personal experience is that user error is, by far, the prevailing problem with getting shares to work. Be it permissions, not understanding networking-101, not understanding your desktop OS, just not having a clue at all, etc.

I will tell you that I've worked with several companies that use CIFS for their office full of Macs and Windows desktops and they haven't complained that it doesn't work. This crap isn't simple. Just look at how many "my permissions are fuct" threads there are every day. I counted this weekend and I saw at least 25 *new* threads that were either 100% certainly or at least 99% certainly a permissions problem.

You shouldn't be puzzled by my recommendation of CIFS. I explained why I tend to recommend CIFS unless there's a particular reason to go NFS.

The title of this thread is "Cannot see Data via Raspbmc with NFS share".

The only reason I raised the problem with OSX is that NFS was exhibiting the same behaviour towards OSX as it was towards Raspbmc - perhaps there is some connection.

I appreciate you probably have vastly more experience with CIFS and AFP and NFS than me which is why I ask in the first place.

I never suggested the broken services was FreeNAS's problem. I was only asking why NFS wasn't working for me, when I have had it working well and easily previously.

The problem may very well be my fault - it more than likely is. And it may be a permissions problem. Do you think I haven't thought about this? I came to this forum after many, many nights of searching and trialling and reinstalling and the only help you have offered so far is 'try CIFS'.

I may not have a clue, but I'm trying real hard, dammit.

BTW, I don't like your avatar. It looks mean and nasty. Is this how you want FreeNAS to appear to people?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ah. My misunderstanding. I thought you were trying to argue that all of the services are broken and curious as to what you should use.

The problem, in the most simplistic terms is this:

We support AFP, CIFS, and NFS protocols per the afpd, sambad, and nfsd daemons. Those are maintained for many *BSD and Linux OSes as well as others. If there's a bug that is for sure not a user-error problem the fact is either everyone else is experiencing the error or the error is with FreeNAS' implementation. Both of those are likely to be well documented so you should be able to validate the problem as well as some kind of hacky solution to get by. The client having a problem does happen, but is very much in the minority of cases.

Once you've ruled those three out the remaining options are pretty much all user-error. Be it improper client setup, improper networking, etc. When it comes to troubleshooting the issues you are very much on your own at this point. We provide the protocol and you get to use it. If and when things don't work the number of places that can have problems is quite high. We've seen everything from bad NICs on the server and/or client to bad RAM on a client to someone that has "tuned" their OS for higher speeds with windows registry hacks that break things they didn't know about. You name it we've seen it. The best we can do is tell you that it works for us and that your issue is not too well documented and let you try to figure out why your client or network doesn't want to work. Once we've ruled out the server, trying to help you is darn near impossible without one-on-one care. iXsystems does offer that kind of thing on-contract. But most of us here can't spend that kind of money on it.

As an non-XBMC user I'm not sure if you are using NFS because you must or because you want to. I do see that NFS is supposed to be faster. I'm presuming that its referring to CPU usage of NFS vs CIFS and not throughput because CIFS easily saturates Gigabit with modest hardware. Plex doesn't quite work the same and I use Plex with a linux server that maps my FreeNAS box via CIFS. It works great and I've never had a problem with it. I could easily have done NFS and I'm sure it would have worked just as well.

NFS isn't the major sharehold for *nix because there's too many people that need to run OSes that don't do NFS- mainly Windows products. Yes, Windows has NFS support if you have a version that supports it, but the performance is very lacking. NFS is often used for backbone activities like ESXi and such, but for desktops I'd say it's probably in the minority in terms of % used. Since you aren't supposed to share the same files with multiple protocols your options usually go from choosing one of the three to CIFS in very short order.

As for you noticing that OSX and raspbmc exhibiting the same behavior, your guess is as good as mine. OSX is a PITA around here. There aren't many Apple users here and the ones that are usually have a problem. With no hardcore Apple base here getting help with Apple products is almost impossible.

You won't find very many XBMC users around here. Especially since Plex has a plugin for FreeNAS that is dead-simple to install. Many users around here that have used XBMC in the past are using Plex now because it's available and they can do everything on the server without having to jack around with sharing stuff for XBMC.

My avatar wasn't picked by me. It was picked by the CTO of the FreeNAS project. ;) It is somewhat related to my job around here as I've had to be the bearer of bad news and I'm pretty up-front with telling people to RTFM if they ask some question that is so stupid they need to be pointed to the manual. If my avatar puts you off you are welcome to not use the forums. I've been in other forums that have far far more offensive things than a dog with teeth. We've had to tone down people's profile picts in the past.. women with almost no clothing, cusswords, drug paraphernalia, and what-not. You can always drop in IRC and ask your question there.

I'm not sure how much you've worked in BSD or Linux forums, but they can be pretty hardcore. They expect a certain level of knowledge and they often provide lots of documentation for you to read. They don't expect you to be a pro, but they do expect you to at least have the basics. We get people confused as to how to do things like set an IP address and ask what an IP address is. The FreeBSD forums have been known to ban people outright for bad grammar, punctuation, spelling, not including all the stuff that forums expect like software version, error codes, outputs of some commands, etc. You want to see people with teeth go to the FreeBSD forums. I don't even post there its so strict.

Anyway, to wrap this up the only thing I can personally say is "good luck". NFS works for me and I'm not sure I've seen someone complain of NFS shares that always show 0 bytes.

Just out of curiosity have you looked at http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Unix_(NFS)_Share ? You do know that NFS shares can't cross filesystem boundaries and datasets ARE filesystem boundaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.