Setting up DynamicDNS for DNS-O-Matic (dnsomatic)

Lothian

Dabbler
I have tried to set up the service to update DNSomatic but keep having troubles. I fill out the page as follows:

Provider: dnsomatic.com
CheckIPServer SSL: Checked
CheckIP Server: www.checkip.org:443
CheckIP Path: /
Domain name: all.dnsomatic.com
Username: myUserName
Password: myPassword
Update Period: 300

This leaves me with a /usr/local/etc/inadyn.conf file containing the following:
Code:
period = 60
provider default@dnsomatic.com {
    ssl = true
    username = myUserName
    password = 'myPassword'
    hostname = { "all.dnsomatic.com" }
}

Now, when I enable the service, I get an error saying
Code:
Aug  4 15:21:12 Nas inadyn[48404]: In-a-dyn version 2.2 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Aug  4 15:21:12 Nas inadyn[48404]: Failed to get IP address for default@dnsomatic.com, giving up!

I know that my username and password are correct because I can use them on the DDNS config on my router (I want to use that DDNS to obtain the name from ASUS which is not served by dnsomatic). The all.dnsomatic.com value for Domain Name is what the instructions for dnsomatic say to use to refresh all the services in the configuration.

KevDog

Patron
I'm having the same problem as you particularly with the default@dnsomatic.com error message. Have you found a work around?

Lothian

Dabbler
I filed a ticket with the support team. From what I can see, it will be included in the 11.3 release, whenever that comes out.

KevDog

Patron
Hey thanks for the followup on the issue. At least they admitted there was a problem.

This seems to have been fixed in 11.3, but it took me some head-scratching to get the parameters just right. The Doman Name help text is a bit misleading when it comes to DNS-O-Matic. Not everything that it touches are hosts. Some might be services e.g. Cloudflare or OpenDNS. So that all services get updated, make sure the outgoing request goes to all.dnsomatic.com.

screenshot.133a.png

Last edited:

KevDog

Patron
Nope -- I would not say this issue is fixed in 11.3 (Dammit -- they said they would fix it)

Same damn error:
Code:
Feb 19 22:28:10 freenas inadyn[44209]: Failed to get IP address for default@dnsomatic.com, giving up!

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 10.30.18 PM.png

Lothian

Dabbler
Not fixed for me either. I tested with NOIP and that worked fine, but dnsOmatic seems cursed. I found that if I delete the cache file (/.inadyn/all.dnsomatic.com.cache) and restart the service, it does one update that succeeds but after that I continue to get the "Failed to get IP address for default@dnsomatic.com, giving up!"errors

Last edited:

KevDog

Patron
@Lothian
I think the problem may be that default@dnsomatic.com actually isn't a name of a web site, its the name of the configuration file. Within the default@dnsomatic.com config file you have an all.dnsomatic.com (as per the instructions at dns-o-matic). The problem I believe however is that I can't resolved or ping all.dnsomatic.com, and that's why its complaining failed to get IP address. I've written for help at dns-o-matic to see if I can clarify this issue.

Lothian

Dabbler
@Lothian
I think the problem may be that default@dnsomatic.com actually isn't a name of a web site, its the name of the configuration file. Within the default@dnsomatic.com config file you have an all.dnsomatic.com (as per the instructions at dns-o-matic). The problem I believe however is that I can't resolved or ping all.dnsomatic.com, and that's why its complaining failed to get IP address. I've written for help at dns-o-matic to see if I can clarify this issue.
Indeed, there is no such address as all.dnsomatic.com. I had the same suspicion as you and added an entry in my hosts file to point at a personal web server to see if I could fool the script but the error persists.

sammysam4983

Dabbler
Did you guys ever get the DNS-O-Matic config figured out? The annual subscription fee for my current provider is up in just a few days and I'm trying to move to something that won't cost me anything. DNS-O-Matic seems like a good choice because that and CloudFlare mean I don't have to deal with DDNS subdomains like you do with other services.

Lothian

Dabbler
No, I never did get it to work. If you wipe out the cache file in /.inadyn/all.dnsomatic.com.cache) then restart the service, it works once, but whatever test they are doing before checking again, it causes it to fail and never update again.

sammysam4983

Dabbler
No, I never did get it to work. If you wipe out the cache file in /.inadyn/all.dnsomatic.com.cache) then restart the service, it works once, but whatever test they are doing before checking again, it causes it to fail and never update again.
On my system, the /.inadyn directory is completely empty...
When I try to run inadyn manually from the CLI with `--foreground`, I get a `Bad Auth` response.

1585621852528.png

I've been editing /etc/local/rc.d/inadyn.conf, but nothing seems to work. I've confirmed my username and password repeatedly but I'm still getting the error. I've tried using both my email address and the username I set when I created the account, and I've tried both all.dnsomatic.com and my actual domain (domain.tld, not host.domain.tld).

Lothian

Dabbler
This seems to be working for me now. I found that I had not provided the checkip server and path. I specified my checkip-server as "checkip.org:443" and checkip-path as "/"

My inadyn.conf file looks like the text below. Note that period is set to 60 for my testing purposes. My IP has not actually changed since I got this working so it is possible that there still may be problems, but if I erase /.inadyn/all.dnsomatic.com.cache then restart the service, It says it forces an update and then no more error messages so I am optimistic. Note, do not edit this file. It is generated when you enter configuration info from the freenas services page.

Code:
cat /usr/local/etc/inadyn.conf
period = 60
provider default@dnsomatic.com {
    ssl = true
    checkip-ssl = true
    checkip-server = "checkip.org:443"
    checkip-path = "/"
    username = "myemail@address.xx"
    password = 'mypassword'
    hostname = { "all.dnsomatic.com" }
    }

Last edited:

sammysam4983

Dabbler
I'm still getting a "401 Unauthorized badauth" error, trying with both my actual username and my email address. I guess I'm down to emailing dnsomatic to see if they can help. This is quite annoying.

sammysam4983

Dabbler
Turns out, it was my password! I had a special character in my password that's used in HTML encoding. I replaced it with something else and it worked like a charm!

TN68

Dabbler
Hi - where does the error show up, or where can you check for errors or success w/ the configuration? Thanks!