Setting ACLs in Scale

ctbalk

Dabbler
Since upgrading to Bluefin, I have not been able to set up ACLs. When I go to permissions for a dataset, select, "Set ACL", select the preset (say restricted or any other) and "Continue", it takes me to the ACL editor show and error for the 4 accounts it added.
1676239440550.png

If I don't select any of the accounts, and select "Save Access Control List" (it doesn't immediately "gray out"), I get the following error:

Filesystem permissions on path /mnt/data prevent access for group builtin_users to the path /mnt/data/share. This may be fixed by granting the aforementioned group execute permissions on the path: /mnt/data.

The problem is, I can't change the permissions to the root dataset in the GUI. Setting chmod -777 /mnt/share in shell gives me a "operation not permitted" response. I'm inclined to think modifying the root permissions is a bad idea anyhow.

stat /mnt/data:
1676240019188.png

Execute is set for users and groups, so I wonder what the issue is? I don't think "other" was ever set in versions previous to Bluefin so maybe why it's not set?

FrostyCat

Explorer
It seems to me you need to allow the traverse permission for the builtin_users group (same as read+execute on directories).
Commands like stat, ls, getfacl won't show you any permissions, you need to use the nfs4xdr_getfacl command to inspect your files or directories if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: the traverse permission will reflect in the file mode though so you'll see it right away is you set the other X bit, a directory will show as rwxrwxr-x for example.

Last edited: