Cant Access SMB Shares after upgrade from Core

mrchip

Cadet
I am new to Truenas and although I've been reading & looking for answers elsewhere I haven't found a solution. So if you could eli5.

I had installed Core then did an upgrade.
After the upgrade I installed an application (paperless-ngx) and I wanted to have that (jail?) store in a local dataset (not one in the docker container).
I created a new dataset and set the SMB Share. Although windows can see the folder it gives a permission error when I try to access.
I have tried adding users and groups that I want with full permissions but nothing seems to work.
I tried running this solution in shell (as recommended in another post) find /mnt/POOL1 -exec setfacl -b {} \;
I then tried creating a new dataset and new smb share but same error.

I think I might have the wrong permissions on my pool. After the upgrade my Pool1 says Owner: netdata Group: docker (I thought in core it was root and wheel?)
When I try to add acl permissions to my new share mnt\pool1\business-share edit ACL it says the owner is root and the group is root. When I add an item and choose Group then from the drop down "business" & set read/write/execute permissions, save access control lists I get this error: Filesystem permissions on path /mnt/Pool1 prevent access for group "business" to the path /mnt/Pool1/Business_Storage. This may be fixed by granting the aforementioned group execute permissions on the path: /mnt/Pool1. Also a:
Error: dacl
Named (user or group) POSIX ACL entries require a mask entry to be present in the ACL. (I can't remember if this occurred after I tried "fixing" things or is just there when I created the folder)

Let me know what other info you might need and where to find it or how to extract it.

Thanks

mrchip

Cadet
Edit: I had installed Core then did an upgrade. As in an upgrade from Core to Scale

mrchip

Cadet
So...if anyone else is reviewing these please let me know if I did this right. For those with the same problem I seem to have it fixed. Here's what I did.
Went to system settings/shell
cd /mnt
ls -la (this showed me that my "Pool 1" was owned by "Netdata" and group was "docker". I don't know where that user & group came from. I never assigned nor created them. I suspect it might be when I was in core I installed jellyfin & paperless-ngx and truenas created them for the "jails" the apps need to be in.

My other thinking is that when I did the upgrade from Core to Scale the upgrade created a user "Netdata" and a "docker" group. I don't know if my thinkig is right...I'm just guessing so could anyone else could shed some light?

Solution:
I then changed the owner & group to "root" for my pool (named Pool1) with the command "chown root root Pool1"
I then changed permissions to allow the root full permission becuase the "Netdata" user had limited permissions. That command was "chmod 777 Pool1" to give full access. Now my permissions show "drwxrwxrwx" I'm not sure if I've given too much permission or if I should have made it recursive so any one that could shed some light that would be very appreciative.

Thanks

mrchip

Cadet
Am I writing these help requests in the correct spots? Am I posting to the wrong spot? Is there somewhere else I should be seeking help? These are getting approved but no responses??? Where should I seek help from?
Thank you

chuck32

Guru
I'm using scale not core, so probably not my area of expertise anyway.

Personally for me, I find your post rather confusing.
I had installed Core then did an upgrade.
From what version to what version? Was it working before?

After the upgrade I installed an application (paperless-ngx) and I wanted to have that (jail?) store in a local dataset (not one in the docker container).
Does not seem like the upgrade is the culprit as you haven't had used paperless before upgrading, yet you phrase it like after the upgrade it stopped working.

I think I might have the wrong permissions on my pool. After the upgrade my Pool1 says Owner: netdata Group: docker
I don't have a reference post at hand, but you shouldn't change permissions on the pool level...

I probably can't help you, as I have no idea about jails. However, hoping to speak for others, some screenshots of your settings would be nice.

By the sound of it, it seems like you should fix your pool level permissions, revert them to defaults, which should be root / root (at least on scale).

Destroy the dataset you were experimenting on (if it does not contain any data, but since you couldn't access it anyway, it shouldn't) and create a new one. Set type to SMB.

Do not mess with any settings, create a smb share and for ACL add your user account (non root) to it. Use that credentials in windows and connect to it. This should work.

Then find out which user needs permission for paperless and also add that user.