Server Crashed- Possible to get files from data drive

I had TrueNAS installed on a server where the OS disk failed. The data disk is still intact. is there a way to pull all the stored files from the data disk that TrueNAS stored the files to.

Can I reinstall TrueNAS and somehow point it to the dat that is already there.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Install TrueNAS (to a new boot device, ideally) and upload your config backup. If you do not have one, you can import your pool in the GUI.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I really have to wonder about this, because it seems perfectly obvious to me (but then, I've been using Free/TrueNAS since the 0.7 days), and clearly isn't in the least obvious to a lot of other people: what might be done to make this more clear to users? We see lots of threads like this (so, @zGrimmReaperr, I'm not intending to pick on you; this is just the latest example), where the thought process of "the boot device is separate from the data devices, so therefore damage to the boot device shouldn't affect the data devices" apparently doesn't take place. Is there something we could add or change in the docs, on the forum, in the software itself, etc., to make this a bit more clear?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's a good question. It's always been absolutely clear to me, as well. It'd be nice to hear more about the thought process leading to this hypothesis.