Seeking Assistance with Low Read Speeds on TrueNAS (dd test)

Congles

Cadet
Hey All,

I'm getting significantly lower read speeds compared to write speeds, and I'm seeking insights or suggestions to resolve this.

System Setup:
  • TrueNAS running as VM with 16 Cores (EPYC 75F3 32-Core) and 124gb RAM
  • 4 VDEV's of 6 drives in Raidz2
  • Dataset for testing: speedtest (created specifically for this purpose with compression turned off).
  • ZFS Cache Setting: Set primarycache=metadata to disable data caching (only applied to the speedtest dataset).

Test Procedure and Results:
  1. Write Test:
    • Command: dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/bender/speedtest/tmp.dat bs=2048k count=50k
    • Result: 107374182400 bytes transferred in 56.531521 secs (approx. 1.899 GB/s)
  2. Read Test:
    • Command: dd if=/mnt/bender/speedtest/tmp.dat of=/dev/null bs=2048k count=50k
    • Result: 107374182400 bytes transferred in 254.130370 secs (approx. 0.422 GB/s)

Issue: While I'm unsure whether the write speeds are what you might expect for this setup, I believe read speeds are significantly lower than they should be.
Are there specific ZFS settings or TrueNAS configurations that I should check or modify to improve non-cached read performance?

Any assistance or guidance from the community would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Arwen

MVP
Full hardware, including disk / storage make, model and potentially firmware.

Further, your test file appears to be 107GBytes large. With 124GBytes of RAM and using Core, (aka FreeBSD), that means the writes might collect into memory making the writes appear "too fast".

So, reading at 422MBytes per second does seem reasonable for a single 4 disk stripe using hard disks. (6 disk RAID-Z2 has 4 data disks per stripe).

Remember, this is a single threaded test. That means a single vDev accessed at a time. Even if all the data is striped across all 4 vDevs, a ZFS transaction write is to one vDev.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
ZFS Cache Setting: Set primarycache=metadata to disable data caching (only applied to the speedtest dataset).
If your intention is to disable caching, you need to set that to disabled, not metadata, but I get where you might be wanting to see the impact of allowing metadata to cache without data cached.

Read Test:
  • Command: dd if=/mnt/bender/speedtest/tmp.dat of=/dev/null bs=2048k count=50k
I would throw out that approach in general and use something more like this:
fio --name TEST --eta-newline=5s --filename=/mnt/bender/speedtest/tmp.dat --rw=read --size=150g --io_size=1500g --blocksize=1M --iodepth=16 --direct=1 --numjobs=1 --runtime=120 --group_reporting

Play with numjobs to see the impact of multi-user access (and caching).

Congles

Cadet
So, reading at 422MBytes per second does seem reasonable for a single 4 disk stripe using hard disks. (6 disk RAID-Z2 has 4 data disks per stripe).
Thanks, that does make a bit of sense. I'll do some further testing as suggested by sretalla.

Full hardware, including disk / storage make, model and potentially firmware.
here's more info:
  • Supermicro H12-SSL Motherboard
  • Host OS is Unraid
  • EPYC 75F3 32-Core with 16 cores isolated for TrueNAS Core
  • Broadcom LSI SAS3008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3 passed through to TN on boot.
  • 256GB RAM with 124 dedicated to TrueNAS Core
  • HDDs:
    • Exos 16TB and 18TB drives (currently migrating everything to 18TB):
    • Models ATA ST18000NM000J & ATA ST16000NM001G
    • Unsure how to check firmware
Any other information you need let me know, happy to dig out anything specific to help.

fio --name TEST --eta-newline=5s --filename=/mnt/bender/speedtest/tmp.dat --rw=read --size=150g --io_size=1500g --blocksize=1M --iodepth=16 --direct=1 --numjobs=1 --runtime=120 --group_reporting

Play with numjobs to see the impact of multi-user access (and caching).
Thanks, I've given that command a go:

1702518463558.png

I'm not great at interpreting this information but looks like 642mb/s is the speed outcome. If that's all on one VDEV then I think that is about expected?

I ran it again with 4 jobs, I guess this is reflecting what 4 concurrent, non-overlapping reads would do?

1702519100693.png

Any help in interpreting these results is greatly appreciated!

sretalla