Secure console

Kreki

Cadet
Hi,

I have two question security relation

1. How can I secure the console so no one physically can have access to see and change settings to my trunas without any sort of password. And

2. How can I set up MOTD

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
System->Advanced has 2 settings that will do what you want:

NameDescription
Show Text Console without Password PromptUnset to add a login prompt to the system before the console menu is shown.
MOTD BannerThe message to show when a user logs in with SSH.

Disabling the console menu just provides a standard login prompt on console. You may need to launch the console menu manually via /etc/netcli.sh afterwards.

Kreki

Cadet
Thank You Samuel,

How can I change change console content to show only MOTD or more specifically I want to remove IP address that is on console

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Why is the IP address on the console a security issue?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
It sounds like one of your goals here is to secure the system against unauthorized access by employees or other workers. One of the basic tenets of computer security is "Physical access trumps all" in that someone can put a USB device for booting into the system, or simply unplug the machine in the simplest method of a "denial of service" attack.

Consider securing the system in a locked cabinet.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I totally support what @HoneyBadger wrote. If your NAS contains sensitive data, only people you completely trust, should have physical access. And trust includes their ability to detect social engineering attempts.