Anyone using an MSI PRO Z690-A mobo with secure boot turned OFF?

tbvink

Dabbler
Hi,

Having trouble with TrueNAS-13.0-U2 on this motherboard's newer BIOS releases/

Fortunately I have a BIOS from April of this year ( 2022 ) and am able to use TruNAS Core OK. However any newer BIOS wont work as MSI has changed the default secure boot settings. There are plenty of settings in the BIOS that look like a means to disable secure boot, but none work. Secure boot keeps showing as enabled after I save BIOS settings and restart. When I try to boot into TrueNAS it just keeps falling back into the BIOS settings screen.

I have posted a ticket with MSI but thought I may get an answer here.

Thanks,
Tony

MrGuvernment

Patron
Turn on Legacy boot?

You can always turn off secure boot, there is always a way!

tbvink

Dabbler
I have been ensnared in the "stupid dance" with MSI level 1 support. I think they finally understand my problem.

Anyway, if I turn UEFI off and boot legacy will that affect how TrueNAS sees my pool disks? Once TrueNAS is running does the BIOS matter any more?

To try this I will
- back up my configuration
- turn UEFI off
- reinstall TrueNAS, choosing to re-format my boot media
- fingers crossed boot up TrueNAS
- upload my configuration

Sound like a plan?
Any potential pitfalls?

Thanks,
Tony

MrGuvernment

Patron
It should not, but never done this before myself. Turning off UEFI only affects the OS, so doing a clean install of TrueNAS, that will be fine, and in theory it sounds solid...

Do you have a backup of your data on another system / disk first?

tbvink

Dabbler
Yes this is a newly commissioned NAS so nothing on it is irreplaceable. But would cost a lot of time so hopefully it will go OK. I am probably going to see if MSI will eventually solve the issue before I take the legacy step.

Thanks,
Tony

dcol

Dabbler
I know this is an older post, but I am posting this for users with this mobo.
I have same mobo and the issue is Secure Boot enabled. After BIOS 1A0 secure boot is enabled and you cannot disable it.
Also disable TPM2.0 and, if using PCIe E1, set the GEN speed of PCIe E1 to match the card.
These settings may apply to other mobo's as well

tip0666

Cadet
Hi,

Having trouble with TrueNAS-13.0-U2 on this motherboard's newer BIOS releases/

Fortunately I have a BIOS from April of this year ( 2022 ) and am able to use TruNAS Core OK. However any newer BIOS wont work as MSI has changed the default secure boot settings. There are plenty of settings in the BIOS that look like a means to disable secure boot, but none work. Secure boot keeps showing as enabled after I save BIOS settings and restart. When I try to boot into TrueNAS it just keeps falling back into the BIOS settings screen.

I have posted a ticket with MSI but thought I may get an answer here.

Thanks,
Tony
I just added ram. Upon boot mobo reverted back to secure. Re-booted entered bios /advance/secure boot off/re-booted.
Back in wonderland!!!!