Seagate to announce new NAS series hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Looks like they're following WD's lead.

Maximum NAS performance.
Largest NAS capacity.

High-performance, high-capacity Seagate NAS HDDs are built especially for 1- to 5-bay systems. Designed to provide industry-leading performance and reliability, the drives are available in capacities up to 4TB. That’s up to 20TB of capacity for your desktop or SOHO NAS systems.

NASWorks™ technology: fine-tune performance.

With NASWorks technology onboard, your system is optimized for NAS environments with extended error recovery, minimized drive vibrations and advanced power management.

Always-on reliability.

NAS HDDs are built for 24x7 environments and are ideal for home or small business NAS solutions. They feature 1M-hour MTBF and are backed by a 3-year limited warranty.

http://drive.seagate.com/forms/NASHDDWebinar-EN

cyberjock

Inactive Account
And who wasn't expecting this? All of the hard drive manufacturers are looking at their 5 year projections and asking themselves where the standard desktop is going to be. With the price of SSDs dropping so fast, size going up every other month, and speed that makes platter media look like ancient technology, who expects they'll actually have nonSSDs in their computer in 5 years? I've already been strictly on SSDs for 3 years myself. In 5 years the only place I expect to see platter based media is in servers. Even now, 500GB of storage is more than most people are currently using in their desktop. These "old fashioned" hard drive manufacturers need to get with the future and they think that the future is home/business NASes. Hint: They are probably right.

joeschmuck

Old Man

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It seems obvious to expect to see lower capacity hard drives vanish. The question is, what will this do to the industry? The rate at which higher density is being developed has slowed somewhat, even allowing for the flooding event. Consolidation of the remaining players continues, and isn't a good thing for competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.