Seagate IronWolf NAS disks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Salier

Dabbler
Has anyone taken the dive with these new NAS optimized drives yet? I'm curious if Seagate has made efforts to improve their reputation after the 3 TB fiasco.

I normally only use HGST disks. I am looking to build out a new system with 8TB disk.

I believe the 8 and 10TB IronWolfs are helium sealed?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I am looking to build out a new system with 8TB disk.
I can't comment on the 8TB drives specifically, because all my drives are 2TB drives, but I have several kinds of Seagate drives running in my systems and I can comment on them in general terms.
The Seagate NAS drives have a lower rotational speed, and that lets them run cooler. That is about the sum of the advantage I see from them. They have not given me any problems, yet, except that one of them gave me a UDMA CRC error. I think that was a cabling issue or some transient because it happened early and there have not been any further errors.

The Seagate Barracuda drives that I still have (I started with 25) have been pretty reliable. I have had a few fail, but I consider a drive with a single reallocated sector as failed. Anyhow, I am still running 22 of them and I like them better than the NAS drives for one reason, the diagnostic "SMART" data that they provide is more detailed.

I am also running a few Seagate Constellation drives and I have the same problem with them as the NAS drives. They don't give as much diagnostic detail as the Barracuda drives and they generate more heat than any of the other drives.

I can only imagine that the 8TB Seagates will work, but I have not seen them in person.

Where I work, we got a bunch of new systems in with the HGST 8 TB drives and they get pretty warm if you don't have adequate air flow. The ones we were testing yesterday got to 43 degrees C in pretty short order so we put an extra fan on them.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I'm curious if Seagate has made efforts to improve their reputation after the 3 TB fiasco.
The issue was with one specific model (ST3000DM001). I wouldn't be concerned about choosing Seagate today.

Status
Not open for further replies.