Seagate IronWolf 8TB (ST8000VN0022) for a NAS setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SebbaG

Dabbler
Hello @all,

After 2 years of happily using my virtualized FreeNAS setup with my 6x 4TB WD-Reds, I will soon run out of storage. :(
Therefore I'm looking for a replacement (Z1-setup). I live in Germany and came across an amazing black weekend deal:
Seagate IronWolf 8TB (ST8000VN0022) for 230 € per drive
This is quite a nice price per GB-ratio.

Compared to the WD-Red 8TB the Seagate IronWolfs are slightly louder (32dB vs 29dB) and consume more power (9.0W vs 6.4W) but have more cache to offer (256MB vs 128MB).
Has anyone gathered some experience with this drive? And if not what do you think about using it in a NAS setup?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The Seagate drives are way too recent for any sort of real-world data. The WD Reds are unspectacular (which is mostly a good thing).

SebbaG

Dabbler
thx for the answer! I've received them today, just couldn't withstand the incredible offer... I'm pretty excited to see how they perform on the long term!

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'd like to know what you think about these drives, your observations on how loud they might be and an anything else you might notice. A full output from smartctl would be cool as well.

Good luck with those drives!

SebbaG

Dabbler

joeschmuck

Old Man
yea, encrypted drives, I don't touch them even though they are considered much safer than they were a few years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.