High capacity HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhoot

Patron
Hi all. I am sure everyone is aware of the growing sizes of HDD at an exponential rate. While the WD Red Pro have not found a disk > 8tb; Seagate Ironwolf has touched 10tb and HGST (owned by WD) has touched 12.
The WD Red come with a 3 year warranty; red pro 5 years; Ironwolf 3y; ironwolf pro 5 years; HGST 3 years.
What disks are people using? Any one found any difference with the helium filled disks? How's the heating on each? I am terribly confused between IW pro and WD Red pro for space upgrade. Not that it's an immediate requirement but I will go for max capacity on each variant to increase the longevity of my system.

Mr_N

Patron
whatever sas drive is cheapest, on a per GB basis when i next add drives, might still be 4TB or could be 8TB...

4TB HGST NAS drives, got them for less than the WD Red's when I picked them up over a year ago. In fact today you would still pay about ten bucks more per drive at NewEgg as they are running 149.99 and I got them for 139.99. It was however a cost per GB breakdown for me along with not being Seagate. I also skipped the 3TB drives since they seemed to have a higher inherent failure rate at the time.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-benchmark-stats-2016/

If I was to buy a larger drive today I would probably look at the 8TB HGST(309.99 on newegg). The cost per GB is higher but not by much than the 4TB HGST(149.99 on newegg) and the HGST NAS drives are running slightly less than the WD Red's 4TB (159.99 on newegg) or 8TB (329.99 on newegg).

I know that the Backblaze report does not directly correlate from enterprise drives to consumer drives but the same designers and processes are probably used for each version if not the same equipment/workers at different times.

The 7200 RPM HGST's do run warmer. The case I have had 6 120MM fans circulating the air over the drives and I ended up needing to get some PWM fans on one side to get better airflow over them and keep them just a touch cooler as well as do a little better cable management behind the drives so the airflow is better. All seven drives have at least a one drive gap between the top of one and the bottom of another at this point but I may have to rethink/change the case or get higher CFM fans when I go to double the pool to 14 drives but that will be at least two more years at my current rate.

Mr_N

Patron
Yeah avoiding a few specific drives and buying lots of drives based on lowest $/GB will always be cheaper than buying x number of the biggest drives you can find...

Obviously if you have a tiny system which takes 2 or 4 drives max then you'll need to compromise somewhere :)

Status
Not open for further replies.