Scripted Detection of SMR Drives

Scripted Detection of SMR Drives 0.5

Last edited:
Last edited:
I don't use Toshiba or HGST drives, however, if anyone does and would like to see these detected, please PM me the tmp.json from the command below:

Code:
midclt call disk.query | jq -S '.[] | {devname: .devname, model: .model, serial: .serial}' > tmp.json

Please don't post this information in the discussion area here as it includes serial numbers, which you may not want publicly displayed.

If you have a WD or Seagate drive that you know is an SMR drive, but the script hasn't detected it, there's one of three possibilities:
  1. My primary reference for the database has been @Yorick's resource List of known SMR drives. If the drive is not listed there, let him know in a post in the discussion area for the resource. I'll see it and update the script database accordingly.
  2. If the drive is in the list, then I've somehow forgotten to include it in the script database. Let me know in the discussion area here.
  3. You're using a shucked drive. Let me know the model number in the discussion area and I'll include it in the script database.
Conversely, if the script is incorrectly flagging a CMR drive as an SMR drive, let me know in the discussion area here and I'll look into it.

Last edited:
Last edited: