Scale R730XD ASUS PCIE NVME Cards NVME's Randomly Drop

loca5790

Dabbler
@loca5790 Do you happen to have any debugs or earlier information grabs that might show the firmware revisions of the drives? I recall the early days of the Samsung 990 had some "teething issues."
Replaced reslivered and it is working.

Fingers crossed.

Checked all drives firmware versions
sudo smartctl -a /dev/nvme3n1 |grep Firmware
Firmware Version: 3B2QJXD7
Firmware Updates (0x16): 3 Slots, no Reset required

I was unable to test the old drive as the only computer that had an open m.2 slot that was using windows would not boot with any m.2 in it.... abanadoned will send this driver back to Samsung.

There is a new firmware version 4B2QJXD7 available.... any idea how to update that from shell?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
From what I've seen on Samsung's site, there's only the Windows-based "Samsung Magician" and possibly a self-booting ISO - they don't seem to support a firmware load from another OS. I'd be hesitant to recommend trying to "find a way around it" when it comes to storage device firmware.

Glad that things seem to have been sorted for the moment; hopefully Samsung will replace the unit for you.

loca5790

Dabbler
From what I've seen on Samsung's site, there's only the Windows-based "Samsung Magician" and possibly a self-booting ISO - they don't seem to support a firmware load from another OS. I'd be hesitant to recommend trying to "find a way around it" when it comes to storage device firmware.

Glad that things seem to have been sorted for the moment; hopefully Samsung will replace the unit for you.
Appreciate you.... I spoke pretty indepth with Samsung Tech Support.

The take away is you can update the firmware pretty easily in linux via burning the ISO to a USB and booting from the drive. The issue is it will update all of the drives it detects that can accept the firmware. Data "shouldn't" be lost but not worth the risk doing a massive update across my entire pool. The latest 4... firmware addresses a scaling issue (calibration) of the temp sensor for the heatsinked drives.

loca5790

Dabbler
Just an interesting note for anyone who stumbles upon this.

I had been struggling trying to figure out why my two CPU's were running at such different temperaturues. Changed the drive out where the blip in data was around Jan 9th. Everything else has been the same.

1704919505715.png