Scale Doesn't "See" ZVOLS

NickF

Guru
Been doing more testing in SCALE as I am committed to help push the limits where I can. I have a weird bug that I filed today.
Testing on TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12-MASTER-20220815-015219
Intel Core i5 12600T, 16GB RAM, two 512GB NVME drives, Intel i219 ethernet

Hi,
I created a ZVOL nested inside of a dataset. I named it, checked the "Force Size" and "Sparse" checkboxes, and inherited everything else.

I tried to add that ZVOL as an existing drive to a VM in the wizard, or as a device after the VM was created. In either case the UI doesn't "see" the ZVOL.

If I navigate VIA SSH to /dev/zvol/nvmed/vms I can see the ZVOL

I can't create a VM with an existing ZVOL I just created in latest nightly on an Alderlake box. Tomorrow I'll probably do a re-install on stable (only tried nightly because Kernel 5.15) to see if the problem persists. Before I do that, does anyone have a work around I can potentially employ to get me past this stopping point?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
To confirm, the problem does not exist in 22.02.3

SCALE 22.12 Master is the Bluefin nightly train...
It is really only for developers and has not gone through a QA cycle.
It is good to report the issue, but more useful after the BETA is released next month.

@wsoteros Its probably useful to start a Bluefin (22.12) subforum under SCALE so that new threads can be started there.

NickF

Guru
No issues, was not expecting everything to work, just trying to get on the newer Kernel since it is an Alderlake box I was testing.