4 CPU (1socket 4 core)
8GB of ram
virtio SCSI as controller
1 HDD 20gb for OS
1 HDD 10TB for data
3 network virtIO
1 MGT
2 for iscsi multipath

i've lawais used a core with this configuration, now i want to test the SCALE.
I've setup a iSCSI and i want to use like on CORE the device as exetend.
When i go to extend and select device i don't see the SDB, but i see it on disk.
on documentation i read:

Extent Typeelect the extent (zvol) option from the dropdown list. Device provides virtual storage access to zvols, zvol snapshots, or physical devices. File provides virtual storage access to a single file. Device provides virtual storage access to zvols, zvol snapshots, or physical devices. File provides virtual storage access to a single file.
DeviceRequired. Displays if Extent Type is set to Device. Select the unformatted disk, controller, or zvol snapshot

Device provide access to PHYSICAL DEVICE -> tha i need
Device -> unformatted disk -> i've

but i not show it ...
how i can solve?
i don't want to add ZVOL ...

Thanks.

alexsdav

Cadet
UP
same issues with TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.1
it's possible to add a device as iSCSI target like truenas?

1678372587132.png

1678372638209.png

Any one have this issues?
i canno share the whole disk?
ZFS is mandatory?

ymdhis

Cadet
Hi,
I have the same issue. Tested with TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.0.1 as well as 22.12.1, no difference between the two versions.

The documentation hints that entire devices (ie. drives) can be selected as an iscsi extent, but only zvols show up in the dropdown. When using the "Wizard" option, the Device field is editable text, but when I try to add for ex /dev/sda it will give back an error saying that the device name must start with zvol.

In TrueNAS CORE 12, it was possible to select a disk device that wasn't part of a pool. When upgrading from TrueNAS CORE 12 -> 13, the configuration was migrated and my devices still showed up under iscsi extents. When migrating from CORE 13 to SCALE 22.12.1, the device extents disappeared and could not be re-added.

So either something is broken making disk device extents impossible to add, or the documentation is wrong and TrueNAS SCALE explicitly does not allow disk device extents (making this only possible on TrueNAS CORE).

This is a critical feature for me. Are there any ways to get around this, or should I just reinstall TrueNAS CORE 13?

edit:
moved back to TrueNAS CORE 12 and 13, and I can add devices as iscsi extents fine. The Device field shows unassigned drives below zvols. Something like /dev/da5 (a 12TB drive) would show up as da5|12000138625024 where the syntax is {drive id}|{drive size}.
The only bug is that when editing already added devices, the device field is empty and therefore changes cannot be saved.

Last edited: