Scale Beta 1st install

elove7300

Dabbler
Hello all, I'm trying to install TrueNas Scale on my Supermicro server with an X10DRH-CT motherbard, the trouble I'm having is when I get to the installer it doesn't list the usb drive I have inserted within the motherboard. I'm using a device recommended from other users, it's an M.2 2242 64GB with a USB-A enclosure. When I boot the only place I see the drive is in boot priorities and it shows up as nvm 2242. When I try to install from a different USB(regular) it doesn't see the drive. I've even switched locations and put the regular usb in the motherboard and the M.2 USB in the rear usb and it boots to the scale installer and still does not see the M.2 USB. Any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I suggest you describe the specifics of the M.2 drive and the USB-A enclosure. Vendor, model etc.

the motherboard may not have the right type of USB port.... what type is it?

elove7300

Dabbler
M.2 storage is "Transcend 64GB SATA III 6GB/S MTS400S 42 mm M.2 SSD 400S Solid State Drive TS64GMTS400S"
Enclosure "USB 3.1 NVMe Enclosure for 2242 PCIe M.2 SSD, ElecGear NV-2242A (NVMe + USB A Plug) Mini External Aluminum Adapter Case"
Motherboard "a picture is attached

It has the correct type USB and it does work as I booted from my TrueNas scale bootable usb drive as a test that it was working

Attachments

• X10DRH-CT_Top_0.jpg
    X10DRH-CT_Top_0.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 141

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
The problem might be that the Motherboard is USB 3.0 and the USB enclosure is USB 3.1???
I have no personal experience on these devices.... but I would check on the hardware documentation.

elove7300

Dabbler
I thought I switched the USB and tried but but I didn't. I just tried it with a regular 3.0 USB but I used the 2nd selection of TrueNas by accident 115250 baud I think and it saw my USB. I replaced it and tried with the M.2 and it did not see it. Very strange I will try a couple more time to see if it holds true but I would think 3.1 would be backwards compatible with 3.0.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
The Enclosure is NVMe.. but the M.2 SSD drive is SATA.. that might be the bigger problem.

elove7300

Dabbler
What I'm wondering is how the bios can see it. Under boot priorities it shows up even when plugged into the internal 3.0 plug

elove7300

Dabbler
So Morgan, I changed out enclosures and bought a SABRENT M.2 SSD [NGFF] to USB 3.0 Aluminum Enclosure (EC-M2MC)

Good news : it did see the hard drive when I went to install Scale thank you!!
Bad news: Scale error-ed out and wouldn't install. Failed to setup loop device for cdrom/TrueNAS-SCALE.update

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 138

NugentS

MVP
If its any help I use a SataDom to boot from (actually 2 mirrored) on an X10SRi-F board using the yellow SATA ports

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I'd suggest walking through the process step by step. .. someone may see the issue.
Is the drive unformatted or formatted.?
The warning about partition table entries is worth checking..... I don't know when/why that occurs. Its worth writing that in text and searching for it.

NugentS

MVP
When I install Scale I get the same error about partition tables - it still installs

elove7300

Dabbler
Ok so the USB I was using was old and small so I re-downloaded scale beta and used rufus to burn it to the new USB drive. It installed rather quickly so I guess it was either a bad image or bad USB drive. The only hiccup, was I was expecting to see the log in screen but it just sat at the console setup. I was told that apparently when using scale I have to log in via the ip address from a different computer. I did this install as my first TrueNas test to get familiar so we shall see once I connect it to my switch and get an ip address.