Scale Apps CPU Pinning

stavros-k

Patron
I don't know if Devs are planning to add this feature but i haven't see it mentioned here or in jira.
I know in docker CPU limiting/pinning is supported, i don't know if that's the case in k8s or helm.
If someone could post a feature request in Jira, i could vote it!
I'm afraid of doing so, because i can't provide enough info, and don't want to spam with tickets without the necessary info and get ignored in the end because of that!
Thanks

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I assume you just want to limit the CPU resources consumed by an application..... if so, explaining you situation and which apps consume too many resources is useful.

Pinning is a much more complex process to manage for many applications.

stavros-k

Patron
I assume you just want to limit the CPU resources consumed by an application..... if so, explaining you situation and which apps consume too many resources is useful.

Pinning is a much more complex process to manage for many applications.
For some dumb reason i wrote my reply on the report button (i might need some sleep lol),

For example i use handbrake (in a docker) which runs most of the day, and in my current setup(unraid) i have limited the cpu to 8 cores (TR2920x) so i got 4 more for the rest of the system to be happy and functional.

If i leave handbrake with unlimited cpu resources i believe it will slow down the system

peter.m

Dabbler
What you're asking for is container requests and limits, and sure, those are supported in k8s :)

Cpu pinning is also supported, but that is something completely different - it allows you to pin the container to a specific core/cores in the CPU

stavros-k

Patron
What you're asking for is container requests and limits, and sure, those are supported in k8s :) As is cpu pinning, but that is something completely different
Good to hear k8s support it as well!

Just to clarify because i didn't mention it in my first post, I'm asking for GUI implementation!

stavros-k

Patron

marshalleq

Explorer
Just to add an extra vote for this (also coming in from Unraid). I've been using CPU pinning for isolating cpu intensive tasks from those that require responsiveness e.g. web sites don't share the same cores as an encoding cluster I run (across multiple machines). Also, for video surprisingly you get a noticeably better result if you limit the threads that are encoding to under 8. So to this end on my threadripper box I assign 4x8 threads per encoding binary (each in a separate docker). I have in the past also done this with VM's and dockers limiting each to the specific use case of the workload within each. I do similar on my xeon box. Further I tend to leave the first core free as recommended by unraid for general system processing, though I have no idea if that applies to TrueNAS and that did always seem odd. Many thanks.

marshalleq

Explorer
I left truenas, but ive Migrated to it again today, I haven't seen this feature anywhere. - anyone know if it was implemented or if there was a feature request done?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I don't believe there is a NAS ticket or any SCALE user stories indicating that the feature is required.

truecharts

Guru
I left truenas, but ive Migrated to it again today, I haven't seen this feature anywhere. - anyone know if it was implemented or if there was a feature request done?

We support CPU limiting by default and even set it by default as well, to prevent a single app from completely slowing down the whole system.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
We support CPU limiting by default and even set it by default as well, to prevent a single app from completely slowing down the whole system.

Is that limiting working on SCALE 23.10 or have you had issues??

truecharts

Guru
Is that limiting working on SCALE 23.10 or have you had issues??

That is using Kubernetes-Native resource limiting and, as far as we're aware, working perfectly fine.
If it's not we've at least not gotten any reports about it (yet) in years.