Scale 21.08 Unable to expand a pool

ozoo

Dabbler
Hi

I created a 6 disk z2 vdev with low capacity disks and everything is working as expected.
Now, I've replaced all the disks with higher capacity ones, the Pool size hasn't increased.
If I select the 'Expand' option in the pool, I get an error stating this feature isn't supported (see below)
Is there any way to tell the vdev / pool to use all available space on the new drives ?
Thanks

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 382, in run
await self.future
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 418, in __run_body
rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1182, in nf
return await func(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1092, in nf
res = await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool_/expand.py", line 46, in expand
raise CallError('Expand is not supported on this platform yet because of underlying ZFS issues.')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Expand is not supported on this platform yet because of underlying ZFS issues.

Alecmascot

Guru
I don't know about Scale, but in Core I would check that autoexpand is on.
Code:
zpool get autoexpand

ozoo

Dabbler
Thanks
Autoexpand is turned off it seems :)
From what I read in Core, it's better to activate it before changing the drives, or else you need to run the 'zpool online -e xxx' command on every drive of the pool after. (but that was too late for me :) )
I didn't find a way to set these properties in the UI in Scale, so I used the command lines, and it seems to have worked.
Thanks !

blathierry

Cadet
@ozoo I am running into the same problem, what are the steps you took? I already enabled autoexpand but the message remains.

ozoo

Dabbler
@ozoo I am running into the same problem, what are the steps you took? I already enabled autoexpand but the message remains.
Sorry, I can't remember all the steps I had to perform (apart running various zpool commands), and everything has been working like a charm since then.
If you have the 'steps to reproduce', maybe create an entry in the issue tracker so Scale can make the whole process less annoying for users in the futur.