problem expanding disk in truenas scale under proxmox ve

stephan44

Cadet
I run truenas scale as proxmox ve without problems - till now
I use raid-z in proxmox and forward the disk as scsi to truenas. There I use "single disks".
Now I extended the forwarded disk size in proxmox. Truenas scale does recognize this but expansion under the gui does not work:
Fehler: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 409, in run
await self.future
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 445, in __run_body
rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1269, in nf
return await func(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1137, in nf
res = await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool_/expand.py", line 46, in expand
raise CallError('Expand is not supported on this platform yet because of underlying ZFS issues.')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Expand is not supported on this platform yet because of underlying ZFS issues.
using commandline does not work either:
- autoexpand is (and was always) on
- zpool list shows the EXPANDSZ cloumn with the correct values and using zpool online -e does not change anything....
any ideas?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This isn't expected to work.

There's nothing to trigger relabeling of the disk or to trigger ZFS autoexpand when you do this.

TrueNAS expects direct control over your disks and for you to use PCIe passthru of the controller, so that it actually has control over the disks. It can then detect when disks are swapped, triggering the right things to allow expansion to happen.

It's suggested you re-do your virtualization setup, following the guidance here:

stephan44

Cadet
thanks for your quick reply
I read this before but the proposed setup did not fit my other needs.
I forgot to mention that tn scale allows to expand the pool even with gui and replies the following:
[EFAULT] Expand is not supported on this platform yet because of underlying ZFS issues.
Does anyone know when this option will work on scale (RC or RELEASE)?

tentpiglet

Cadet
Please excuse the late reply. It is possible to do this with proxmox and truenas.

I expose two disks to my truenas instance by proxmox, a boot disk (da0) and the pool disk (da1).

I expanded my pool disk in proxmox from 8TB (7TB used, 1TB available) to 16TB.

Truenas still saw the pool disk as 8TB. I did the following at a shell prompt:

root@truenas[~]# gpart recover da1
da1 recovered
root@truenas[~]# gpart resize -i 2 da1
da1p2 resized

truenas now reports my pool disk as being 16TB in size with 9TB available, 7TB used.