Say for example the OS flash drive died...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arman

Patron
Hi.

What would happen in the scenario where the flash drive containing the FreeNAS OS suddenly died?

Also, what should you do in the scenario where you would want to move the operating system from one flash drive to another?

These questions came to mind because I just bought one of those very small Sandisk flash drives and I wanted to move the OS onto the smaller one from my current full sized one.
(I don't have any important data on my NAS yet. I'm currently just testing.)

Arman

Patron
Update:
I found out that you would have to reinstall FreeNAS on another flash drive then upload the previous config file to the new OS.

I was wondering, what would happen if you did not back up your config file? How would you get your data back?

adrianwi

Guru
Best thing to do would be to set them up in a mirror and use both. If one fails, you still have one working. The only problem with this setup is identifying which one has died, although if you have two different types that might be a little easier. Impossible if they are identical!

Arman

Patron
Best thing to do would be to set them up in a mirror and use both. If one fails, you still have one working. The only problem with this setup is identifying which one has died, although if you have two different types that might be a little easier. Impossible if they are identical!
That's a good idea. But if I were to, how would I set up to flash drives in a mirror? Is there such an option built into FreeNAS that I do not know about?

What should a person do if they did not have a mirrored setup nor they had their config file backed up in the the event of:
Mounting from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/default failed with error 6

danb35

Hall of Famer
How would you get your data back?
Import the pool using the GUI. You'd need to recreate your shares, users, etc., but your data would still be there.
Is there such an option built into FreeNAS that I do not know about?
Yes, there is. Suggest you check out the manual for more information.

Arman

Patron
Import the pool using the GUI. You'd need to recreate your shares, users, etc., but your data would still be there.
Thank you! :) I just recovered my test volume.

Yes, there is. Suggest you check out the manual for more information.
Thanks also. I just found it. ^__^

Status
Not open for further replies.