Wont Complete POST With FreeNAS 9.10-STABLE Installed on USB Flash Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitaldreams

Explorer
So I've looked and seen some threads on this topic before but I haven't been able to locate the resolution or root cause (and they were on older FreeNAS versions). I'd appreciate some help and hope I can get a resolution here.

Synopsis:
I wanted to test FreeNAS so I attempted to throw it onto an old rig. Here's what I did and the hardware I'm using.

Hardware:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe Dual-Core 2.4 GHz LGA 775 65W BX80557E6600 Processor
  • Uses Pheonix Award BIOS
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
(4x) 3 Terabyte WD Red NAS Drives 5400 RPM

I configured the Pheonix Award BIOS for the hard drives as SATA and turned off RAID so I would later create the RAIDZ-1 through ZFS. I prioritized the 2 USB flash drives in the boot sequence above the 4 SATA hard drives. Something to note here, the BIOS recognizes the flash drives as hard disks, not "removable storage". After saving and rebooting, the install went flawless. The system booted from the FreeNAS installer iso on the USB flash drive and installed it onto the other USB flash drive. It completed successfully. So I chose reboot from the GRUB installer menu and then pulled out the installer flash drive. Upon rebooting, the system would no longer POST. It would show the BIOS name and version and I possibility the CPU name, then basically freeze. I could't even ctrl + alt + del to reboot it. I had to physically power it down in order to reboot. At one point, I even cleared the CMOS to reset the BIOS. Now, if I take out the FreeNAS flash drive, it will POST. But with the FreeNAS USB drive in, I can't even get back into the BIOS menu unless I boot without it plugged in. This is basically where I'm at.

Any help or suggestions to get this resolved so I can test it out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

gpsguy

With only 1/2 the needed RAM for FreeNAS on an old machine odd things can happen.

If you have a desktop with lots of RAM, consider testing FreeNAS in a virtual machine.

Digitaldreams

Explorer
That's my mistake, there's 8 gigs of ram. 4 2GB sticks

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Make sure you enable some option in the BIOS that sounds like "legacy USB support".

Digitaldreams

Explorer
I havent been able to work on it much but I'm pretty sure that all legacy USB options were enabled.

Anyway, I gave up on it and ordered a http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...urce=cj&utm_content=8192570&utm_term=12637418

I couldn't afford to spend time troubleshooting it when the hardware would probably limit how well it would run and probably wouldn't meet my expectations.

Thanks for the assistance to those who replied!

Status
Not open for further replies.