Flashing FreeNAS onto USB Flash Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Rhoades

Dabbler
Just a note to those who might be interested. When I downloaded the .iso from FreeNAS, and then flashed it to a USB Flash Drive to use for installing the OS to the second "final" boot USB Flash Drive. Once I had completed running the install, I took the Install USB Flash Drive and reformatted it in Windows 7 Pro. What had originally been a 32GB flash drive, was now a 382MB Flash Drive.

I contacted SanDisk support for assistance, and they instructed me to download the HP Format Tool Download and use it to re-format the USB thumb drive. It worked and now I have my 32GB restored.

Nice tool...thought you might like it too.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Just a note to those who might be interested. When I downloaded the .iso from FreeNAS, and then flashed it to a USB Flash Drive to use for installing the OS to the second "final" boot USB Flash Drive. Once I had completed running the install, I took the Install USB Flash Drive and reformatted it in Windows 7 Pro. What had originally been a 32GB flash drive, was now a 382MB Flash Drive.

I contacted SanDisk support for assistance, and they instructed me to download the HP Format Tool Download and use it to re-format the USB thumb drive. It worked and now I have my 32GB restored.

Nice tool...thought you might like it too.
If you have a Linux system, gparted works pretty well for these sorts of things.

puz

Dabbler
Yes, the same happened with me. There is plenty of disk management tools out there. Windows Disk Management is definitely behind on most utilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.