Switching Installation USB Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Marques

Cadet
Hi all,

I got FreeNAS running with a USB flash drive. I wrote the installation IMG with Win32 Disk Imager. If I want to move this to a different flash drive, or create a backup, how would I go about this? I could just use Win32 Disk Imager but they may be different sizes.

I could also just write the installation IMG with Win32 Disk Imager, but then what files do I need to copy from one to another to restore all settings and volume info?

Is there a one click backup option in FreeNAS?

Yatti420

Wizard

joeschmuck

Old Man
It's amazing how easy that sounds yet so few people practice it ;).
I know that is the only way I do it, too much trouble the other ways.

Yatti420

Wizard
I don't employ the 2-USB setup.. I probably should though as it makes it a little easier..

Nick Marques

Cadet
Well that makes sense. What is the hard way?

And also, what size USB flash do I really need?

joeschmuck

Old Man
The hard way is to try and copy an image of your current USB flash drive to another flash drive. Some people can make it work well, others have issues and then you see postings asking for "Help, I've lost my configuration".

Fabbat

Dabbler
I have similar problem. Now my Freenas 9.1 runs on a hard disk but I would move to USB stick to free an HDD slot ( sorry I didn't understand raccomandations until now...)
Is it possible? And is iti easy?
Thank you

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yes it's easy. Just save your configuration file first. Turn off your system. Remove your boot drive. Connect a USB Flash drive. Boot from the FreeNAS CD (preferably the same version you are currently running), load up the USB Flash drive and after you boot from the USB Flash drive, restore your configuration file. Simple.

Fabbat

Dabbler
Thank you very much for your complete answer. I'm using freenas 9.1.1 and I will upgrade to current version. Do you think I can move to USB stick and frenas 9.2.x at the same time? Or is better moving before to USB stick and then upgrade the version?

joeschmuck

Old Man
You can upgrade before or after, your preference. Just ensure you backup the configuration file before moving over to the flash drive. Also it's my personal opinion to not upgrade beyond 9.2.0 yet, too many issues in 9.2.1.2. There is a 9.2.1.3 Beta out that is said to fix those issues, you could go there if you want but my advice is to start with 9.2.0, ensure everything works. Upgrade further at your own risk. The issues are mainly Samba (CIFS) upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.