Save custom iptables entry to config database?

Hello, I have a TrueNAS SCALE installation (TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12-MASTER-20220902-034233, but this applies to other non nightly builds as well) where I need some custom iptables entries in order to route network traffic locally instead of over the net. I use a pi-hole hairpin DNS entry in order to do this and have to do some port remapping. Here are the entries:

Code:
iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -i eno1 -p tcp --dport 443 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.2:9443
iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -d 192.168.1.2 --dport 9443

My question is how do I save these entries to the config database so they persist through a reboot? I checked the API documentation (Settings > API Keys > API Docs), and didn't find anything that looked like it would. Has anyone ever saved something like this?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The NAS does not support firewall rules. While it also does not prohibit you from adding them, the infrastructure to do this is your responsibility. Try a post-boot shell script.

To document how I resolved this:

I opened a shell as root and entered crontab -e. I selected the editor of my choice and edited my crontab file. I entered the two following entries:

Code:
@reboot /usr/sbin/iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -i eno1 -p tcp --dport 443 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.252:9443
@reboot /usr/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -d 192.168.1.252 --dport 9443

I then rebooted my machine and used this command to see if my entry persisted and they did:
iptables -S FORWARD

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That probably won't survive an upgrade and definitely won't survive a reinstall. You really do need to use the post-boot shell script functionality offered by the NAS. Most of the things you know from Linux or FreeBSD are "wrong" in the NAS environment.