Samba 4.15 and multi-channel now enabled by default

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Now that Samba 4.15 is deployed with CORE 12.0-U6.1, would it be possible to have the middleware enable server multi channel support = yes in /etc/local/smb4.conf? The Samba release notes claim multi-channel support is no longer experimental.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Hi,

While testing Truenas 13 Beta I realized that multi channel support is still disabled is it planned that this will be enabled default on the release ?

server multi channel support = yes

Adding it under Services -> SMB -> Auxiliary Parameters should do the same thing, right?

tiberiusQ

Contributor
It's already in global but disabled I am more interested in the backround experience (testing & co dev side) and why they decided to disable it ?

emeraldnue

Cadet
could someone please help me with instructions on how to enable multichannel smb in truenas core....

Not to derail, but is SMB Multichannel the same concept as NFS “nconnect” + “servers”?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Indeed but the setup Network requirements for Multichannel is kinda weird isn't it - and only offers a smb specific benefits.
Lagg offers benefits for all applications which are hosted on Truenas,...Anyway I do not use either ;-) anymore instead I am on 10gb

NickF

Guru
SMB Multichannel is only available on SCALE right now, and quite recently.

emeraldnue

Cadet
I do prefer Link Aggregation !
I had my dual 10GB sfp+ links at home aggregated but I thought SMB multichannel would provide better/faster transfer/performance? It is just my home media server and I rip my 4K UHD disks and transfer them to the Truenas which would provide better performance.... I have dual 10Gb intel sfp+ and a Unify 10Gb Sfp+ switch.... Just looking for the fastest setup...

awasb

Patron

awasb

Patron
I had my dual 10GB sfp+ links at home aggregated but I thought SMB multichannel would provide better/faster transfer/performance? It is just my home media server and I rip my 4K UHD disks and transfer them to the Truenas which would provide better performance.... I have dual 10Gb intel sfp+ and a Unify 10Gb Sfp+ switch.... Just looking for the fastest setup...

Roughly speaking ... while LAGG could possibly speedup all network applications and is used for (serious) multi client / multi user environments with just the server having (necessarily) multiple nics, it won't enhance bandwidth for a single client; again: it's just the server side. (The goal is to not cripple performance by serving 10 clients with 1Gbit nic each over e.g a single 1Gbit nic on the server.)

smb3 multi channel possibly enhances single client connections / bandwidth via smb only to and from the server, if the server and the client got multiple nics (and can handle smb3 multi channel, of course). The theoretically available bandwith is roughly number of nics x single bandwidth.

NickF

Guru
Definitly not. It's working over here with CORE 13 and some mac clients.
I mean you can do a lot of things with aux parameters. But multi channel on 4.15 on CORE is not supported or enabled by default.

It is available and is officially supported on SCALE in the most release, and even there it’s not enabled by default and a checkbox must be enabled. Also FWIW SCALE is running 4.17

Obviously since CORE and SCALE differ in terms of the upstream SAMBA version, there may be performance and stability reasons why you shouldn’t use multi channel on CORE until it gets updated with a newer Samba. It might work fine but I’m sure there is a good reason why it’s not included on core right now.

awasb

Patron
][…] there may be performance and stability reasons why you shouldn’t use multi channel on CORE until it gets updated with a newer Samba. It might work fine but I’m sure there is a good reason why it’s not included on core right now.
Well. In my case over here quite the opposite is true: for simple file services / sharing (SMB/NFS/iSCSI) TN 13 CORE beats SCALE performance- and stability-wise . (With and without multichannel …)

Last edited by a moderator: