S.M.A.R.T service won't start after fresh upgrade to FreeNAS 11.1-U1 from 9.10.2-U6

BetYourBottom

Contributor
The title is a rough overview of what's going on. I haven't dug into it to much because I don't know where to begin.

The one thing I've got right now is that an error pops up in console but I'm unsure of what it means exactly or how to fix it.

Code:
Feb 12 20:02:56 freenas smartd[19635]: Unable to register device /dev/da7 (no Directive -d removable). Exiting.

It seems to take issue with /dev/da7 which is a flash drive part of the boot mirror for FreeNAS itself, but it doesn't seem to complain about da6 which is an identical model.

Flash drive may have went bad. Pull one out and see if it will boot. If not try the other.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
show us the result of
Code:
camcontrol devlist

That will tell us what da7 is, physically.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Ugh, sorry, I see you included that information above.

Since that's a mirror of the boot device,
you should be able to pop it out. When you do that, does smart service start normally?

BetYourBottom

Contributor
I turned off SMART on both USB drives in the mirror and it immediately activated SMART. On stopping SMART and restarting it, the error doesn't come up and the service starts without issue.

Seems 11.1 doesn't particularly like SMART being enabled for USB drives.

hiro5id

Dabbler
YAY! I'm so glad I stumbled on this thread. it solved my problem for starting SMART as well.

SoggyF

Cadet
I've been pulling teeth for over a month. THANK YOU!!!

Last edited:

helios_x

Dabbler
THX
Worked like a charm.

bobc47

Cadet
i had this problem after upgrading to 11.1 and turning off smart monitoring for the mirrored USB boot drives did the trick.

Thanks for the hint!

splaisan

Dabbler
my disks are all SATA (not USB) so this is not the reason why it now fails and it used to work with previous version of FN.
I have a config using 12x 2TB disks (da1 to 12) on a Dell server and we decided to make each disk a virtual disk and let FN merge them all into a VD. The disk da0 is a separate RAID pair of SATA disk hosting the system.
This may be a part of the reason behind the SMART lost in this new version.
Can I live with this error message and just ignore it (loosing of course the advantage of SMART)?
Thanks for any advice

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/oCsG0re.png)