After 11.1-U4 update S.M.A.R.T. service wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor
I updated to 11.1-U4 20 days ago and I have the tasks setup the run S.M.A.R.T. test and a script to send emails of the results.
The first time looking at the email after updating i noticed that the smart test results were not from that day but didn't really think much about it. The second time it happened i knew something wasn't right.
After a quick search I see that the S.M.A.R.T. service is stopped. I attempted to start the service and it resulted in this error
Code:
smartd[23304]: Unable to register device /dev/da7 (no Directive -d removable). Exiting.

On my system da7 is one of the 2 flash drives I have setup as a 2 drive mirror with the FreeNAS OS on it, both flash drives are exactly the same.

I went into "view disk" and edited the settings for da7 and unchecked "enable S.M.A.R.T." and then the error showed up for the other flash drive.
Code:
smartd[25320]: Unable to register device /dev/da6 (no Directive -d removable). Exiting.

After unchecking "enable S.M.A.R.T." on both flash drives the S.M.A.R.T. service started all by it self.

Does any one know how to fix this?
Is this a bug that should be reported?

Last edited:

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor

Freeman2018

Cadet
Suggestion: Add extra option: FreeNas > Storage > Volumes > View Disks > S.M.A.R.T. Extra options > "-d removable"

For me this got rid of the errormessage: "Unable to register device /dev/da7 (no Directive -d removable). Exiting."
and SMART did indeed start on boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.