S.M.A.R.T enabled in gui but not in cli?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saurav

Contributor
I have a new FreeNAS mini box. The "View Disks" screen has "true" for all the 4 disks in the "Enable S.M.A.R.T." column. But the shell says otherwise:

Code:
[root@freenas-primary ~]# smartctl --test=conveyance /dev/ada3                                                                    
smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p10 amd64] (local build)                                                       
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org                                                       

SMART Disabled. Use option -s with argument 'on' to enable it.                                                                    
(override with '-T permissive' option)                                                       

[root@freenas-primary ~]# smartctl --test=conveyance /dev/ada4                                                                    
smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p10 amd64] (local build)                                                       
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org                                                       

SMART Disabled. Use option -s with argument 'on' to enable it.                                                                    
(override with '-T permissive' option)                                                                                            
[root@freenas-primary ~]#           

Which is right? Or is the "Enable S.M.A.R.T." in GUI not the same thing as what would happen if I did "smartctl --smart=on /dev/ada{3,4}"?

This is on freenas 9.2.1.7. Also, there are four identical WD RED disks, and this is the case for only 2 of them. For the other two (ada0 & ada1), S.M.A.R.T seems enabled when checked with smartctl.

Thanks,
Saurav.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I just tried those commands on my box (SMART monitoring is setup and enabled). It appears that SMART isn't running on your device.

Either it is explicitly disabled for those devices via WebGUI settings or the SMART monitoring isn't running.

saurav

Contributor

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There's plenty of ways you can disable it while having it enabled and on. I'd break out the manual and read the chapter on SMART. I don't know what to say except 'it works for me' unfortunately.

saurav

Contributor
Never mind. This seems to have fixed itself after a reboot.

Before reboot, I had brought up the Edit screen for each disk in the "View Disks" screen and clicked "Ok" without changing anything. It might have had something to do with the "fix".

Status
Not open for further replies.