RuntimeError: Stopped transmission due to VNET failure

tonyxx

Cadet
Hello all :
I'm new here and my freenas os version

OS Version:

FreeNAS-11.2-U2.1

(Build Date: Feb 27, 2019 20:59) upgrade from 11.2-U1 ,the U1 was fresh installed in usb stick.

Yesterday, after I edit the Mount points of the transmission jail , I found the transmission cannot startup and shows up like this

Code:
Error: concurrent.futures.process._RemoteTraceback:
"""
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/process.py", line 175, in _process_worker
    r = call_item.fn(*call_item.args, **call_item.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 128, in main_worker
    res = loop.run_until_complete(coro)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/asyncio/base_events.py", line 468, in run_until_complete
    return future.result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 88, in _run
    return await self._call(f'{service_name}.{method}', serviceobj, methodobj, params=args, job=job)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 81, in _call
    return methodobj(*params)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 81, in _call
    return methodobj(*params)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 668, in nf
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/jail.py", line 581, in start
    iocage.start()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/iocage_lib/iocage.py", line 1663, in start
    callback=self.callback
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_start.py", line 66, in __init__
    self.__start_jail__()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_start.py", line 491, in __start_jail__
    _callback=self.callback)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_common.py", line 90, in logit
    _callback(content, exception)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_common.py", line 64, in callback
    raise callback_exception(message)
RuntimeError:
Stopped transmission due to VNET failure
"""

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 165, in call_method
    result = await self.middleware.call_method(self, message)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1141, in call_method
    return await self._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=app, io_thread=False)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1078, in _call
    return await self._call_worker(serviceobj, name, *args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1105, in _call_worker
    job,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1036, in run_in_proc
    return await self.run_in_executor(self.__procpool, method, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1021, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
RuntimeError:

I search the google and found this

Code:
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/vnet-failure-while-installing-a-plugin.70708/
and Bug #52548.

and I follow the post but transmission cannot startup

And I edit the jail config double check the dhcp option , in the Network Properties , choose the vnet default interface to auto , reboot the system , reboot the freenas , the transmission cannot startup.

em...I don't know what to do right now, anyone have idea to help me out ?

I would appreciate it very much. thank you.

y0m1g

Cadet
I'm experiencing the same issue!
I deleted a mount point in the transmission jail, but it deleted them all... so I had to recreate them, then I added a new one.
Now the jail won't start and I get the same exception:
Code:

Tried to edit the vnet too, same problem.
Running FreeNAS-11.2-U2.1.

I would also appreciate some help if anyone knows how to fix this. Thanks

fakebenwhite

Cadet
I was having a ton of issues with with VNET failing when I was working on a Plex install last week. Think I rebuilt that plugin/jail 3-4 times before I finally got it working... I want to say I ended up manually entering as much network-related info into the 'Basic Properties' section of the jail settings as I could, and then went back later and turned-on DHCP and the two related packages. I've also got IPv6 running, and enabled the 'allow_raw_sockets' setting under jail properties per recommendation from another thread... It's been solid as a rock since, but I made so many changes at once I don't know what the actual fix was.

y0m1g

Cadet
Do the instructions in https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/77305#note-9 allow you to start the jail?

Yes it helped, I fixed my issue! :D

I realized some mount points I added were duplicated in the jail's fstab file (/mnt/POOL_YOU_ACTIVATED/iocage/jails/JAIL_THAT_WONT_START/fstab). So I just removed the extra ones, and the jail started!

I deleted a mount point in the transmission jail, but it deleted them all...
I think that was the moment that triggered the bug... not sure why all mount points disappeared from the list when I removed one, but definitely the jail's fstab wasn't handled properly.

Thanks a lot dlavigne!

y0m1g

Cadet
I had to edit the mount points on my jails once more, and I had the same error all over again.
Deleting a mount point from the UI seems to remove the carriage returns from the fstab file, then there are no more mount points appearing in the UI list. I end up solving this each time by editing fstab manually, adding a new line for each mount point in the file, and editing it with the updated mount points.
Likely to have a bug here...

Tranquil IT

Cadet
We have also been hit by this bug and can hopefully shed some further light on it.
It seems that if you edit or delete mountpoints in the jail through the UI rather than deleting the mountpoint that you select the UI deletes the entire contents of the Fstab file, including those entries that are required for the jail to boot. (thus causing it to throw a VNET error)

The only way I could get the Jails to restart was to redeploy the plugins fresh on another Freenas box that I had to hand and copy the contents of the freshly created fstab file to the jails on the original box. These can be found as follows.

/mnt/[pool name]/iocage/[jail name]/fstab

Once I did this the original Jails started without a problem and I was able to re-add the lost mountpoints. However any attempt to delete a mountpoint will lead to the same issue again so I strongly recommend that you make a backup of the original fstab config in the root of the Jail so that this can be restored in future until such time as the bug is fixed.

You can do this easily by creating an SSH session to the NAS navigating to your jail

cd /mnt/[pool name]/iocage/[jail name]/

and then creating a copy of the fstab file before making any modifications through the UI

cp fstab fstab-original

Hope this helps somebody else.

Sean

D

dlavigne

We have also been hit by this bug and can hopefully shed some further light on it.
It seems that if you edit or delete mountpoints in the jail through the UI rather than deleting the mountpoint that you select the UI deletes the entire contents of the Fstab file, including those entries that are required for the jail to boot. (thus causing it to throw a VNET error)

That sounds like a bug that should be reported at bugs.ixsystems.com. If you do, please post the issue number here.

Andreaux

Dabbler
I just ran into a similar issue. I have a jail for Transmission that was unable to start with the exact same error. I first noticed it was not auto-starting, then when I tried to manually start it, I got the same error as the OP.
I went into editing the Jail and under Network, noticed that the default VNET interface was empty. In the drop down, selected "auto" and the jail is now starting correctly without errors and also the Auto Start feature works as well.
Hope this helps.

einsargen

Cadet
Hello, I am using a translator, I will tell you how to solve the error:
first: disable hard drives
second: go to network - interface and set dhcp to automatic.
third: add the disks and I was able to install plex and other plugins. Cheers

en español
Hola estoy usando un traductor, les comento como solucione el error:
primero desactive los discos duros
segundo entre a network - interface y puse en dhcp en automatico.
tercero: agregue los discos y pude instalar plex y otros plugins. Saludos