rsync Pull task from Synology to Truenas

ccdanieldb

Dabbler
Hello all,

I am looking for some help on running the below rsync pull command from “/Tasks/rsync Tasks” on the web gui. I want to pull the data from my Synology to my truenas. Both boxes are on the same 10.0.5 network.

My main reasons for doing this are two fold. One, I want the Truenas to be responsible for all the work, And two is that when I set up the hyper backup on the Synology to push the task it pushed the encrypted data.

Its about 15tb of family photos and videos. I was backing up to the Synology from my Mac but one of the drives failed on my Mac and now I only have the one copy on my Synology. I want to get a second backup asap and am using the below commands to make that happen. But it would be nice if it could be automated.

rsync -avuch daniel@10.0.5.xx:/volume1/Media /mnt/tank/BigData/backup/ rsync -avuch daniel@10.0.5.xx:/volume1/Time /mnt/tank/BigData/backup/

I can and have run the commends above by using ssh to connect to my truenas box then ran the command from there. But I can not figure out how to run the command from the (Rsync Tasks menu) so I can run it every night at midnight.

My basic setup is below, its all old stuff, but it works.

Truenas version: 12.0-U5.1
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Product Name: H97-PRO
Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
32 gb ddr3
PCIE mini SAS card x2(Genuine LSI 6Gbps SAS HBA LSI 9201-8i (=9211-8i)) from the ebay listing.
13 3tb HDs from Wd and seagate in a Z3 setup.

Thank you all for any help you can provide.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hello all,

I am looking for some help on running the below rsync pull command from “/Tasks/rsync Tasks” on the web gui. I want to pull the data from my Synology to my truenas. Both boxes are on the same 10.0.5 network.

My main reasons for doing this are two fold. One, I want the Truenas to be responsible for all the work, And two is that when I set up the hyper backup on the Synology to push the task it pushed the encrypted data.

Its about 15tb of family photos and videos. I was backing up to the Synology from my Mac but one of the drives failed on my Mac and now I only have the one copy on my Synology. I want to get a second backup asap and am using the below commands to make that happen. But it would be nice if it could be automated.

rsync -avuch daniel@10.0.5.xx:/volume1/Media /mnt/tank/BigData/backup/ rsync -avuch daniel@10.0.5.xx:/volume1/Time /mnt/tank/BigData/backup/

I can and have run the commends above by using ssh to connect to my truenas box then ran the command from there. But I can not figure out how to run the command from the (Rsync Tasks menu) so I can run it every night at midnight.

My basic setup is below, its all old stuff, but it works.

Truenas version: 12.0-U5.1
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Product Name: H97-PRO
Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
32 gb ddr3
PCIE mini SAS card x2(Genuine LSI 6Gbps SAS HBA LSI 9201-8i (=9211-8i)) from the ebay listing.
13 3tb HDs from Wd and seagate in a Z3 setup.

Thank you all for any help you can provide.
I have an idea that might work...

If you can run successfully run rsync from the command line, you can always run a cron job instead of using an rsync task. Just create a shell script with the commands, like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
rsync -avuch  daniel@10.0.5.xx:/volume1/Media /mnt/tank/BigData/backup/
rsync -avuch  daniel@10.0.5.xx:/volume1/Time /mnt/tank/BigData/backup/

Make sure the shell script works, then create a cron job to run it every day at midnight.

There's more than one way to skin a cat!