RSYNC Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisT

Patron
I am trying to setup rsync to do backups of my file server's critical data to a windows machine's USB drive. I'm having problems with file permissions and can't seem to figure it out.

When I run this command:
Code:
rsync -avzr /mnt/cargo/globemaster vdc01::Backup

The files are copied like I want them to be, but I can't access any of them from the windows machine without having to take ownership and change permissions on each file.

I also tried:
Code:
rsync -avzr --chmod=a=rw,Da+x /mnt/cargo/globemaster vdc01::Backup

But that resulted in the same thing. How can I make the files copied from the freenas box to the windows box be readable by everyone? It keeps showing the owner as system, and the windows box doesn't recognize this.

ProtoSD

MVP
In the CIFS configuration under Storage -> Volumes -> YOUR-VOLUME -> Permissions

There's a checkbox "Type of ACL", try checking Windows if you haven't done that already.

If it's not that, what version of FreeNAS are you running? 8.0 or 8.01 beta?
8.0 had permission issues

TravisT

Patron
I have the ACLs set up as windows ACLs. I think I got it working now, but the permissions are still not right.

Using this code:
Code:
rsync -avzr --chmod=a=rw,Da+x /mnt/cargo/globemaster vdc01::Backup

my permissions on the copied files end up being RW and special for SYSTEM and RW for everyone. The owner is SYSTEM.

On the original files, the owner is administrator@mydomain and the permissions allow domain users RWX access to the files. Its a small price to pay, but it seems the permissions should carry over.

Status
Not open for further replies.