rsync question: wide open permissions, I still can't copy nested folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

esamett

Patron
OK. I was trying to speed up transfer and benefit from ECC ram security on server...

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
OK. I was trying to speed up transfer and benefit from ECC ram security on server...
You've been futzing with this since Tuesday. Even if your transfer speeds were only 30MB/s, you could have moved about 7.2TB through CIFS by this point. Robocopy is pretty useful for these sorts of tasks (it has logging capability).

esamett

Patron
Yup. Then there is the stubborn factor...

esamett

Patron

esamett

Patron
Don't know what I did differently, but I got a successful cp -Rp /mnt/test/test1/ /mnt/test/test2 to work with windows ACL on new volume:
[

rsync failed - I think I typed correctly. I will continue to experiment...

Attachments

• FreeNAS Research.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 268

esamett

Patron
cp -Rp /mnt/transfer2/video-server/ /mnt/tank1/video-server/t2

sample error message:
cp: chmod: /mnt/tank1/video-srver/t2/-steve cara through 2012/Steve/Documents/Music/Rhapsody/steve@greenwoodassociates.com/Dessert Dwellers: Operation not permitted

I checked file directories. The files actually copied and with similar permissions in Windows Explorer - Properties, including time/date stamp.

Could this be an error due to extra long file name/descriptor?
Do I leave alone or fix with attrrib -r -s -h /S /D from DOS screen?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
When acl type is set to windows chmod is not permitted. This is to prevent you from accidentally borking your ACLs. If all files copied properly and permissions are working, I wouldn't worry about the error.

esamett

Patron
Thanks for your patience and guidance.

I think I am going to be successful in transferring my data with cp -Rp. I copy to a unique subfolder so I don't lose any overlapping folders. Then I cut/paste them together from Windows.

My bad: one dataset was "guest/guest" and the other was "dad/dad." That explains error below:
Code:
There is still something not understood in the FreeNAS permissions and Windows ACL. Similar Dataset uer/group, Windows ACL recursive. I attrib all files via Windows. When transferring from my newer volume the attrib makes the cp error messages to away - as above. From my original volume they persist. I think I am going to leave the issue at this point and hope that those wiser than myself in these issue sort them out.

evan

p.s. the cp command is very, very fast, 10TB today, compared to copy via PC over my gigabit network. Hopefully I can get rsync working for me in the future.

Last edited:

esamett

Patron
My testing of valid/invalid rsync commands^ was hampered by apparent delay in CIFS showing changes to the Windows Explorer on my PC. I did a test of rsync as below (approx 1200 files and 138MB) and Windows explorer showed the expected result. I deleted files/folders from destination and repeated same command. After several minutes Windows Explorer still shows destination folder empty. ls command from FreeNAS shell shows the data is actually there. No other significant activity is happening on the server. If it matters I turned off the recycle bin for this testing:

Code:
Shell
[root@freenas ~]# rsync -r /mnt/test/test1/ /mnt/test/test2
[root@freenas ~]# rsync -r /mnt/test/test1/ /mnt/test/test2
[root@freenas ~]# ls /mnt/test/test2
- Secure files dlink wpa - current.txt
.windows test.txt
[root@freenas ~]#

About five minutes later CIFS finally sends the correct information to Windows. This had led me to erroneously conclude that many of the rsync commands I was testing weren't copying any data at all. With this in mind I repeated my experiments from the command line shell in the GUI:

^
rsync flag testing in Windows ACL environment:
rsync -r copies folders successfully
rsync -a gives mkstemp error and only copies directory structure:
Code:
rsync: mkstemp "/mnt/test/test2/- Secure files/folder with space/subfolder/.file
.txt.NXK5Hm" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 2
3) at main.c(1053) [sender=3.0.9]
[root@freenas ~]#

The same with: [root@freenas ~]# rsync -rlptgoD /mnt/test/test1/ /mnt/test/test2
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# rsync -rlptgoD /mnt/test/test1/ /mnt/test/test2
<stuff happening>
rsync: mkstemp "/mnt/test/test2/- Secure files/folder with space/subfolder/.file
.txt.berqrA" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 2
3) at main.c(1053) [sender=3.0.9]
[root@freenas ~]# 

Files transfer with rsync -rltD (no preserve permissions, group or owner) succeeds:
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# rsync -rltD /mnt/test/test1/ /mnt/test/test2
[root@freenas ~]# ls /mnt/test/test2
- Secure files dlink wpa - current.txt
.windows test.txt 

Adding the -p command back triggers the error message and stops file, but not folder, transfer:
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# rsync -rlptD /mnt/test/test1/ /mnt/test/test2

Successful copy of files with:
[root@freenas ~]# rsync -rltgD /mnt/test/test1/ /mnt/test/test2

and:
[root@freenas ~]# rsync -rltgoD /mnt/test/test1/ /mnt/test/test2

There seems to be a problem with using the -p flags with rsync which are part of the -a "archive" flag. Can anybody tell me what is the practical of not using the -p flag with rsync?

In case this information is helpful I will post my findings to Bug Tracker.

esamett

Patron
Status
Not open for further replies.