Rsync of files from Synology NAS to my new Truenas scale server - help please

Ppriorfl

Dabbler
Just installing today, so maybe I'm missing something.

I need to copy a large amount of files from a Synology NAS on my network to my new truenas scale server.

I'm not seeing anyway to mount an external share or any way to enable an rsync task.

This has to be a common issue - how is it solved?

Ppriorfl

Dabbler
Well I found MC within shell, but still don't see a way to mount a remote share. Am I getting warm yet?

Ppriorfl

Dabbler
Thanks - I did find it but seems to be for backing up one TrueNAS server to another. I can't see how to pull a specified directory from a remote machine like a Synology NAS into my truenas scale server. I do see pull, but how do I specify WHAT I want to pull? Sorry I know I'm learning and greatly appreciate the help - I know rsync is a great long term investment of my time to make sure I keep data backed up correctly.

I can't see how to pull a specified directory from a remote machine like a Synology NAS into my truenas scale server. I do see pull, but how do I specify WHAT I want to pull?
You have to establish an SSH connection with the remote server, and then it will present the correct listing of directories.

This requires to generate a keypair that can be used with a user account on the Synology NAS.

You can also use the Rsync "Module" method as well, which requires that the server has the Rsync Service (rsyncd) running.

EDIT: For this one-time transfer, it might be easier to just login to your TrueNAS server via SSH, and manually run rsync in the terminal within a tmux session. No need to generate any keypairs. Just enter the Synology user's password when prompted.

Last edited:

Ppriorfl

Dabbler
Just to close this I ended up doing the SSH from shell thing and once rsync was enabled as a service on the Synology and I got my permissions sorted out it worked great. Don't really understand the whole rsync "module" thing, but I didn't need it. I'm probably just going to setup a cron job to rsync back to my Synology going forward to make backups of my important data. Appreciate the help @winnielinnie

Don't really understand the whole rsync "module" thing, but I didn't need it.
I personally prefer the Modules approach for trusted local networks. I find it to be faster, and the directory traversal is done on the server and client, not just the computer initiating the rsync task.

It uses only rudimentary security, and there is no encryption, as you have with SSH.

Use what works best for you! :smile: