Rsync from wsl to truenas scale

juju

Cadet
I am looking to migrate data from my old synology box to a new truenas scale install. So, I backed up to various HDDs in the ext4 format. Using WSL in windows, I am able to mount the drives to a '/mnt/wsl/PHYSICALDRIVE1p1/' diretory. So need to find an efficient way to move that data to various datasets in truenas. I have considered using rsync as follows:

Code:
rsync -avn /mnt/wsl/PHYSICALDRIVE1p1/xx  pveuser@10.10.50.20:/mnt/pool/dataset/xx

Will this work? There is about 4Tb of data. Is there a better way to do this?

Whattteva

Wizard
why the -n flag? That's for dry run. May I suggest -avhP instead?

juju

Cadet
why the -n flag? That's for dry run. May I suggest -avhP instead?

@Whattteva thank you. Its working - No upload errors so far. Going much quicker than I thought.

I now have to figure out how to grant multiple permission types to specific folders - for instance, for my music folder, I plan to setup sonos access ( I think its nfs ?), but at the same time, I plan to setup an SMB access to it so I can browse / make edits to the folders / content on my windows machine. I hear its not good to use different sharing protocols on the same dataset? That's got me confused a bit. Some datasets might require access from different clients. ( in read only mode of course - with only one having write permissions ).