Files from rsync not showing up for user but for root

BretO

Cadet
I have my origianl TrueNAS Core 12.x box and a new TrueNAS SCALE box with more space in it. I originally set this up right after SCALE was release but have been distracted by other things and am just getting back to it. I setup rsync to on SCALE to pull the data from the CORE box. The data was pulling over and I could see it in the SMB share on the SCALE box. I stated noticing that pretty much all my files for 2022 are not showing in the SMB. If I ssh in to the Scale box with my account the files do not show up either but if I "sudo -i" then I can see the files and they have the correct user/group that is on all the other files that I can see just fine. I just updated to 22.02.2.1 and have rebooted the box and ran the rsync task. I had created a couple of new files to easily look for. The new files came over but can only see them if I am checking with root.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
rsync doesn't handle permissions and ACLs well. You have to fix them manually.
ZFS replication.. does transfer permissions and ACLs.

BretO

Cadet
What I don't understand was why all the files transferred over with rysnc just fine to begin with and now they are there but I just can't see them unless I got in to root mode. All the permissions look correct as far as I can tell.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
To get help, you'd have to show all the permissions and ACLs and users/groups .
For example, what type of ACLs are being used - POSIX or NFSv4?
If anyone else has seen/solved the same problem, hopefully they will respond.

BretO

Cadet
That's just it... I haven't setup any ACLs, etc. This is a clean install. I setup the ZFS pool and created and account for myself, then setup the rsync. Also I just noticed that under Storage it says it is using 20.83T of space. I only have 13T of space used on my original Core box that it is pulling the data from.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
That's just it... I haven't setup any ACLs, etc. This is a clean install. I setup the ZFS pool and created and account for myself, then setup the rsync. Also I just noticed that under Storage it says it is using 20.83T of space. I only have 13T of space used on my original Core box that it is pulling the data from.
Rsync generally will synchronize based on uid/gid. Do your uids / gids for uses match on source and destination?

BretO

Cadet
I just checked and the UID/GIDs are the same on both systems. I did notice that on my CORE box the files are set to my user but "wheel" for the group. That group does not exist on the SCALE side. but since the user is the same I wouldn't think that would cause any issue.