SMB permissions for new files - how to set it?

francisaugusto

Contributor
Hi,

I have installed TrueNAS Scale a couple of months ago, but only today I noticed that something wasn't working as before.
I had a dataset called scans with 2 child datasets:
```
scans
- usera
- userb
```
I had set up the share under Truenas Core to `scans`, which was owned by root and by a group called `scan`, of which the users `scanner`, `usera` and `userb` are members of.
I have set up the share so that the user `scanner` could write to the share. It worked so that userb couldn't see what was on usera's folder and vice-versa. User `scanner` had just writing rights (and some others which I don't remember now).
It worked beautifully, but now what happens is that, when the user Scanner mounts the share, it creates new files with 700 permissions, and now the other users can't see the files when mounting their own folders.
I don't know what happened that new files are created with 700-style permissions, or what happened to the act when I migrated from Core to SCALE.
Any hints on how to make new files created with Scanner to have the right ownership so that the respective owners of the folders can see and use their files?
Best,
Francis

indivision

Guru
Can you verify that the exact same users/groups with same perms exist from within the Scale gui?

SimpleTechGuy

Dabbler
Well I'm actually using Core, so it may be a bit different, but the Scenario is almost exactly the same. 2 users in the same group, but new files created have drwxr-xr-x permissions. I found that for me it seems to have something to do with umask, but maybe that's not what you're dealing with.

indivision

Guru
Yeah. I think perm behavior should be the same between the two. But, I would verify that those users/groups and their perms migrated correctly after going from Core to Scale (for OP).