Root Mount Error - v8.3.1 using Usb Boot Key

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz1761

Dabbler
Hi,

I need some assistance with a root mount error using a Usb boot key with v8.3.1...

I have a MITX Gigabyte AMD 1.6 E-350 (usb 2.0v) and I have a 16gb Sandisk Usb Key with the .img file that was loaded onto the key using Win32 disk imager. I did try physdiskwrite but for some reason it didn't like the Sandisk disk size, so I tried an old 1GB stick I had lying around and it got so far to let me select the key within the command prompt, but as soon as I tried to write to it, the command prompt would just disappear?

I am completely new to this concept and I have searched, but could not find anything I could comprehend as yet. I have also attached a picture of my screen as the error happened.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Mount Root Error.jpg
    Mount Root Error.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 274

daz1761

Dabbler
1Gb is too small.

While the manual says "at least 2Gb", a 2Gb flash drive might still be too small. Try a 4Gb drive.

Thanks for the reply. As I said I actually managed to get freenas onto a 16GB Sandisk Usb key, but using win32 disk imager.

I'm actually going through all the draws as we speak trying to find a 4GB stick and the closest I've come to one is a 2GB. I've just tried it with physdiskwrite but no luck again. The command window just disappears.

So do you think the 16GB is too big? as it seems to prompt that in physdiskwrite, but it was funny how win32 disk imager didn't prompt this if this was the case.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can use any size you want as long as its bigger than the image(2GB). Because some 2GB thumbdrives aren't 2GB we recommend anything bigger than 2GB. But since the unused space isn't even partitioned or used, nor can it be partitioned and used, the extra space above 2GB is completely and utterly useless.

It's not a "waste" to use a 16GB if you are okay with 14GB of the thumbdrive being useless. I'm using an old 8GB thumbdrive that was horribly slow for everyday use, but full of awesomeness for FreeNAS.

daz1761

Dabbler
You can use any size you want as long as its bigger than the image(2GB). Because some 2GB thumbdrives aren't 2GB we recommend anything bigger than 2GB. But since the unused space isn't even partitioned or used, nor can it be partitioned and used, the extra space above 2GB is completely and utterly useless.

It's not a "waste" to use a 16GB if you are okay with 14GB of the thumbdrive being useless. I'm using an old 8GB thumbdrive that was horribly slow for everyday use, but full of awesomeness for FreeNAS.

Yes, that makes sense. I'm still a bit confused why physdiskwrite prompted that my 16GB was to big, but win32 disk imager went ahead a did it (although I get the root mount error).

Is there any software you guys recommend for doing the best job of this?

Right, I think I'm going to have to pop to the supermarket and pick up a cheap 4GB and give that a try :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I used win32diskimager and had no problems when I used a 4GB and 16GB.

daz1761

Dabbler
I used win32diskimager and had no problems when I used a 4GB and 16GB.

Hmm, strange. That's defo the one I downloaded for Win7

Just to check, have I downloaded the correct FreeNas:

FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-x64.img.xz 2013-03-17 83.2 MB

I take it its fine for the key to initially FAT32?

daz1761

Dabbler
Just to update....

physdiskwrite is obviously a no go anymore, as it will not process anything over 2GB and you need more than 2GB for the Usb drive to be bootable?!

I went right back to the beginning, downloaded the file I mentioned last, uncompressed it, opened win32 disk imager and wrote to my 16GB Sandisk Usb key. Popped it into my NAS, and it booted up fine, although it hung for ages on the line: Starting cron..... But I have put that down so far to me not having a network cable in the machine.

I've shut down and restarted a few times with a network cable in and all seems ok, just need to start setting it up, etc..

Can somebody be able to explain why I had the root mount problem in the first place, and if the initial hanging of the: Start cron was because I needed a network cable in?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not sure what your problem was. Could have been one of many issues. I'd say the chances of you finding the issue are about zero unless its blatantly obvious later(such as a USB stick that keeps storing files that happen to be corrupt).

daz1761

Dabbler
Not sure what your problem was. Could have been one of many issues. I'd say the chances of you finding the issue are about zero unless its blatantly obvious later(such as a USB stick that keeps storing files that happen to be corrupt).

Ok, that sounds about right.

Is it true to say, that every time the operating system boots up from the key, is it actually writing data to the key or literally just reading? If so I might just go and buy some really cheap 4GB sticks and image them all as a back-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.