Roadmap for E-cores and Wifi support?

Hi, I read from some old threads that E cores as well as Wifi were not supported. How is the situation for this year?
What will happen if I don't disable E-cores and install/run TrueNAS? I have not decided whether to use Core or Scale.

The router provided by the ISP is located in a different room as my computer room. Usually I just connect my desktop PC, printer and other devides to the LAN and the internet via Wifi. If I build a TrueNAS system and try to avoid having a long wire running across two rooms, what options do I have?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Place the NAS next to the router. Or get a cheap WiFi bridge with an Ethernet port. E.g. a used Apple Airport Express from eBay. Great small devices.

Whattteva

Wizard
WiFi likely will never be supported.
You can repurpose an old router (if you have one lying around) and configure it as a wireless ethernet bridge. Most decent ones will likely support it. If it doesn't, research if it's possible to reflash the firmware into DD-WRT or OpenWRT so it can support WiFi bridging mode.

danb35

Hall of Famer

Arwen

MVP
Seems no one answered about the E-Cores. Today, they should be supported reasonably well. And each update that includes a kernel update, will probably get better.

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
FreeBSD CPU scheduler indeed doesn't differentiate the cores, it looks only on hyper-threading, caches and memory topology, assuming all cores are equal otherwise. So some amount of inefficiency is possible due to putting a load on less suitable CPU. But since not many workloads on NAS require heavy computations like SSE or AVX, I'd expect the difference to not be dramatic.